.224 Bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Contenderizer, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I'm looking for a source for .224 bullets for plinking and target; something around 35 Gr. for my Hornet. I my be looking in the wrong places, but everyone seems to only have 40-45 Gr. Terminal performance is not the issue here, cost is. Any suggestions?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Have you considered cast lead for your plinking ammo? Not sure what's all available for manufactured lead in .22 caliber, I see that Beartooth has a 45gr LFP/GC for the Hornet but price is about the same as jacketed. I ordered a few Beartooth cast for my 6.5 Swede but haven't had a chance to load any of them up yet...weight consistency seems okay and I haven't seen any obvious flawed bullets in the box I got.

As for lighter than 40gr...
    Hornady has a little 35gr VMax Hornet bullet
    Berger has several under 40...not cheap though.
    Midway/Dogtown has some 32gr HP listed as "coming soon" but my experience with dogtown has not been all that great as far as accuracy goes.
    Pretty sure Speer and Sierra also have some sub-40gr bullets but I don't have a list at the moment and Midway's website isn't cooperating with me today (and I'm trying to place an order before I head off to work too...oh well).
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  3. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Hornady 35 grain Vmax is the only thing I use in my Hornet cause it's a
    tack driver in my Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Can't seem to find them in bulk,
    but average $15 per hundred. Results are worth the price!
  4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Thanks Guys, It looks as if we are reading off the same page (as in catalog pages). Problem is everyone is out of the little Vmax right now. Tried several places. Just ordered some, but its back ordered and have to wait three + weeks. Bummer about the accuracy of the Dogtown; I was looking forward to trying them when they become available. The price is right at $11.00 and change per hundred. I may give them a try anyway; my 10" Contender barrel may like them.
  5. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I was thinking I saw some 30 grain .224 bullets at Cheaper Than Dirt.Someone mentioned a negative experience with accuracy of Dogtown from Midway, but I have had very good results myself in my Savages. That's one reason I like Savages, they don't seem to be picky about bullets, IMHO.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong that the Dogtown bullets are junk...I should've worded that post differently I spose. I would rank them about the same as Remington or Winchester bulk bullets. Those three seem to have a little wider weight variation than Sierra, Hornady, Berger, Nosler, etc.

Now, my old 788 22-250's favorite bullet was the Winchester bulk 55gr SP, it would shoot one hole groups at 100yds all day long with em...so yeah it's all in what your rifle likes, and sometimes the bulk bullets will work out great for ya. If you're looking for lots of good blasting ammo cheap then the bulk stuff will probably work just fine...and you might find a super-sweet load for em too.
  7. lslubecki

lslubecki New Member

If you reload Midwayusa.com has 33gr fmjhp .224's for the hornet on sale now for $7.75 per hundred.