22lr and coyotes

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 60defense, Feb 1, 2011.

1. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I agree with your thoughts on the .22 RF. The Red Fox in the U.K. however is much smaller than the American coyote. The Desert Dog is a much stronger animal. The Coyote in fact feeds on the Red Fox in America. I recall from my time in the U.K. how small the Euro fox was. They are the same as the American Fox.

RC
  2. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

Wow! In that case anyone even thinking of shooting one of these animals (with .22LR) has to be a total moron.:eek: Sounds like the bare minimum centrefire calibre is .223 or .22-250.

Thanks for pointing that out. :)
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If you can do a squirrel head shot at 60 yards you are good to go. My only caveat is use solids and not hollow points. On a larger animal like a fox or coyote you want penetration and a 40 gr solid will beat any uber high velocity hollow point. I stopped using hollow points for hunting back in 71 when all I was shooting was jack rabbits, Usually killed them dead but I had a few get away with terrible wounds, I never had a rabbit or coyote or feral dog run after getting hit with a solid.

I'll still use HP's for pigeons, English sparrows, starlings, crows, squirrels etc. but solids should be your first choice for anything bigger.