.22LR AR-15

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by DTHRocket, Aug 12, 2011.

1. DTHRocket

DTHRocket New Member

I am a semi-newbie to firearms, and have only fired shotgun and .22 rifle. Soon (as in within one or two years) I hope to invest in my own firearm, but I'm doing extensive research in my options available.

One gun I've been looking at lately is an AR-15 that fires .22 caliber bullets. I have a few dumb questions about it: (1) Can it be fired in full-auto, or is it just a semi-auto? (2) Could I eventually buy a 5.56 upper receiver and swap it out, or does it not work that way? (3) Anybody use this gun that has any other comments about it?

Thank you very much. Also, if you want to yammer about what your first gun was or what you would recommend, I would love to read those comments as well.

~Daniel
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

DTHRocket,
    Welcome to the forum.
    To answer your questions: the commonly offered AR-15s for retail sale are SEMI-AUTO only. Full-auto/select fire weapons must be purchased from a specialy licensed dealer authorized to receive, modify/manufacture such weapons and can only be sold to a civilian consumer after that person has submitted extensive paperwork, undergone a rigourous background check by the FEDS, been OKed to own by local law enforcement and PAID a $200 fee for a "tax stamp." The process typically takes 4 to 6 months from point of iniation - payment for the weapon (usually running into the thousands of dollars, into the 12K to 18K range for an AR15/M16) to the vendor ahead of approval. ETC.
    The majority of the currently offered AR type .22lr carbines and rifles offered today are "purpose" built as .22lr and only resemble the AR15 externally. If you are interested in having a platform that will fire both 5.56x45 as well as .22lr - you would be better off FIRST purchasing the 5.56 capable version and then later purchasing an upper set-up to fire .22lr - it is uncommon to go the other way around.
    I've fired two .22lr "ARs" - both were German made - both worked well and were reasonably accurat - and both had lowers with molded in, dummy AR15 features.
    BTW - a reasonable AR15 in 5.56mm can be purchased for under $1K, a later purchase of a .22lr upper will cost around $400, a subassembly conversion kit around $300. Purpose built .22lr "AR look-alikes" are selling in the $400 to $500 range depending upon manufacturer.
    Hope this helps, Daniel - Good luck, shoot safe.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

DTHRocket , welcome to the forums

a note from just observing

a good ar in 223 and a ar in .22 is the way cheapest option some of the .22 uppers for AR dont match well and the .22 ones dont take AR uppers well some do.. discovering which may be a expecive excersize , or thats what i have seen of watching others

get both , enjoy em both for what each is ,, oh and dont forget pic's and range reports ;)

$1500 for two good quality rifles

$1800 for one that you gotta swap bit's and pieces about

you can get a Austeyr with a .22 kit for the same sort of money ( made here but i cant have one .. )
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  4. DTHRocket

DTHRocket New Member

Thanks guys. A coworker today told me how even an automatic .22 will be expensive to license for. Semi-autos are pretty much just as fun anyway.

I might actually get an actual 5.56mm AR. From what I see online they are typically only about $200-$300 more than a .22 lookalike. And with a modification kit to make it fire .22 ammo, that sounds like the way to go.

But like I said, I probably won't actually purchase a gun until at least a year. I'm researching many options first.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

PS love ya blog , we're going out this afternoon, a mates grand son is trying to get to 10,000 feet with a two stager , i'll be out on the lake as recovery for the rocket in the tinny , ( boat) in case it goes that way ..
  6. DTHRocket

DTHRocket New Member

Nice, I also have a two stager, but it only does 7000 ;). I'm going to try my Level-2 cert tomorrow!
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I have a AR-15 with a upper chambered for 5.56 and a 22lr conversion kit. I would say that is the cheapest way out. I found my conversion kit for $90 and it included 1 magazine for it. All you have to do is look around some.