.22lr conversions?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by thunderstruck507, Sep 21, 2007.

1. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

So i've gotten somewhat interested in a conversion kit, will any or most work with the taurus?

will most ammo work? the idea is to keep shooting cheap so i can do it more often
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

You'd have to ask Marvel if their kit works on a Taurus. I have one for my Para. Shoots pretty good, they recommend Sub-Sonic rounds for best accuracy.

I found a Ruger Target 22 on line cheaper than the conversion cost.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The Ciener and Kimber conversion kits are ejector dependent so whether they will work on your Taurus is a question for them. The problem is clearances on the underside of the slide of the conversion. Those two conversions only work on 1911 frames set up for 45ACP, according to them.

The Marvel conversions (actually two totally different models) are not ejector dependent but still the Taurus is unique enough that you would have to ask Marvel directly.

The Marvel is the way to go! The Unit Two is the tactical version meant to be used for tactical practice and is very similar in operation to the Kimber and Ciener. The Marvel Unit one is a beautifully accurate, well made version that can be used for Bullsey competiton or plinking or taget shooting. It ranks right up along side the S&W Model 41 for accuracy if the frame has a good trigger.

The big differnce between the Unit One and all the others is the others put the sights on the slide which moves in recoil. The Unit One is made like all the other good target pistols with the rear sight on a sight bridge that is part of the barrel assembly and the rear sight is stationary while the seperate bolt moves under the sight bridge. It is the design of the Hi Std Victor and the S&W Model 41 and many other sucessful target 22's.

Visit their Marvel Precision web page and contact them directly to see if it will work on your Taurus. These are nice people and they are willing and able to help you. I found Kimber and Ciener a bit arrogant.

Good shooting!

LDBennett