22lr for self defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 2nd Abeliever, Dec 25, 2009.

1. 2nd Abeliever

2nd Abeliever Former Guest

Hi all. Greetings. Just wondering here to myself,:rolleyes: "what can a 22lr revolver (5-shot) actually do in case of needed self defense"? Does anyone of you actually use this caliber for concealed carry? Thanks for any responses. Safe shooting.
  2. cakes

cakes New Member

If you are protecting yourself against being bitten by a dog, that .22 cal revolver is a great choice. I keep an auto-loading .22 in the glove box when I drive cross country.
  3. obxned

obxned New Member

Hopefully the attacker ceases the attack immidiately upon seeing that you are armed and standing your ground. That would be a very good outcome. If you are forced to shoot, you may not be very happy with your .22. The .22 will indeed kill an attacker, but probably won't stop him before he kills you.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    .22 LR is better than nothing. No one wants to get shot, not even with a .22. If it's all you have use it till you can come up with something better.
  5. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

It's all about shot placement.................but, that being said, I'd rather have at least something bigger than that.
  6. Old Sarge

Old Sarge New Member

I'm with "Carver". A 22 is better than a switch. And as it's been said, "Shot Placement" is critical, with such a small caliber, but a long barrel would be to your advantage. If it was all I had, of course, I'd carry it; but it really is just too small to stop much of anything larger than a medium sized dog. I'd be shopping for a larger caliber, like a 38, or so. I sold a 25 because of same quality. Short barrel, no accuracy at all.
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I would want more capacity with a .22, if my life depended upon it; I don't know what my abilities would be in a stressful situation. Does not matter how good you are with targets, in a real life or death situation there are a lot of stress factors that come into play, which could render your shot placement skills inept.
  8. 2nd Abeliever

2nd Abeliever Former Guest

Thank you all so far for your answers. Kinda turns out I had imagined I'd get this kind of answer. In the meantime, as some of you stated, something is better than nothing.
  9. red14

red14 Active Member

I have a mini revolver. I have shot it around 500 times. It is all I have, that I'm confident in. Sure hope it's enough.:eek:
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is an age old arguement. Many say not to carry less than a 380. I dont agree but to each their own. I carry a 45. I like the stopping power that one shot provides. But not everyone wants to or can carry a 45. I would gladly take a 22lr if thats all I had or all I could shoot. I would carry the stingers or the hottest round I could find and practice your shot placement as often as possible.
  11. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

A 22 does satisfy the first rule of a gunfight: Bring a gun.

It will not do much to an attacker though, unfortunately. If you hit the attacker just right you might get lucky, but personally I wouldn't chance it. Go to your next gun show and pick up an inexpensive 9mm or bigger gun. Until then, tote that 22 with pride becuase your packing more than 90% of the law abiding citizens in the world do.
  12. jondar

jondar New Member

Some years ago The American Rifleman magazine posted a short article about a California Highway Patrolman who was on a traffic stop when a perp pulled a weapon and disarmed the LEO of his duty pistol. He then marched the LEO out in a vacant field. His intentions were obvious. The LEO's hideout weapon was a North American .22 LR derringer, hidden in a small pocket in his uniform. At the first opportunity the LEO pulled the derringer, whirled around and shot the perp in the head. It did the job. On the strength of that article I bought a NA derringer. I think that was thirteen years ago and I've had it with me ever since.
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Shot placement is key. Good point.
  14. red14

red14 Active Member

I trust my NAA more than I do my fists, which are more like claws. Ask DD what I could do with my hands.
  15. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

Only as a last resort!

It's slightly better than a rock or a sharp stick.
    :)
  16. questor

questor New Member

+1
  17. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i see and hear this debate all the time and have heard it for years. all i'll say is this. except for time of war, more people have been shot and killed with a 22 than with any other caliber. and for years was the caliber of choice for the mossad.
  18. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have a NAA Mini Mag that I carry along with OC when I walk. It is 22 Mag in caliber and about all I can comfortably carry in workout clothing. For any other situations my minimun is a 38 Spl. I would not want to have to use the NAA's revolver against a perp that is armed as I would feel seriously undergunned. If you are looking for a self defense weapon I would buy something larger.
  19. tnbrdnrd

tnbrdnrd New Member

Was searching this forum for info on what to carry while walking/jogging and saw your response. I just tried a NAA mini .22 and found it too small to effectively get my hands on quickly. That said, I could use some advice on what a woman with small hands and arthritis in both thumbs could carry for protection while fitness walking and how best to carry it. BTW, I've already had 2 somewhat unnerving situations while walking and am really ready to get back out there with something more powerful than pepper spray.
  20. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

tnbrdnrd:

You may want to look at a small revolver in 38 Spl like a Ruger LCR or a S&W 638 and carry in:

http://www.pistolwear.com/index.htm

On another post a runner recommended it to me and although I haven't purchased yet I will purchase in the spring for carrying my SP-101 or a lighter revolver in while walking.