22lr for self defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 2nd Abeliever, Dec 25, 2009.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

i always thought something like a little walther ppk in .380 wouldn't be a bad carry gun. it's a small gun and it has more stopping power than like a .22 or .32. i was thinking about saving up for a p99 for a carry weapon. it's a 9mm as opposed to the ppk which is a .380. both 9mm, just that i always thought 9x19 had better stopping power than a .380 (9x17). and i'm pretty accurate with most 9x19 guns I've shot on the range. too bad they don't make a walther ppk in .50 BMG. Lol. That would be like Men In Black with Will Smith when Tommy Lee Jones gives him the Noisy Cricket.

And I agree with those who talked about shot placement. You can be deadlier with a .22 LR that you shoot with extreme accuracy and land a headshot. Or you could carry something like a 9mm and get a torso shot that may not stop the attacker in one hit. Carry what you're comfortable with. Smaller ammo = less recoil. Get what you are accurate with and what YOU'RE comfortable with. You don't have to carry a .50 Desert Eagle to be deadly. One reason I like the .45 I have is because it's slim. I believe you can find 1911s made for 9mm as well. Springfield Loaded line has some 9mm 1911s. Just get what you like and are most comfortable with. It's your life, not everyone else's.

But .22 is fine. Like the guy above said - it's better than nothing at all.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Just remember. A .22 pistol is an eye gun in an attack since the attacker will be up close and personal. Can you shoot an attacker in the eye under stress. I don't think so. I know a man who was shot 5 times with a .22 pistol at close range. After fighting with his attacker and taking away the empty weapon, the attacker got away. When the police arrived, he was still walking around. His wounds were pretty serious and he stayed in the hospital for about two weeks. He told me he didn't know he was shot until it was all over.

It's easy to give advice if you have never been in a gunfight. It ain't like in the movies. Things happen very fast and the attack will usually be 7 yards or less.
    Get lots of range time with a caliber known for it's stopping power because a .22 will only get you killed. A topic such as this is no place to post opinions unless you have been there,done that and survived.
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Just a small note on the 25acp. Around here this past summer a older gentleman got broke into while home. He shot the guy with his 25 and the piece of scum did leave and he wasnt sure he had hit him. The local law came and done their report and they only way they got the intruder (piece of scum) was he went to the hospital 2 days after he'd got shot. One up for the law abiding citizens out there. But the point to 25 cal...no stopping power.
  4. Ursus

Ursus New Member

You touch a point I've always had. The .22 is better of for the really expert, highly trained personnel, because shot placement its critical.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

2-3 Bricks ( 1000-1500 rounds) of .22 used in practice is a wise investment

practice practice practice

if needed hopefully it will be second nature and your shots will be true

the Mossad also teach never to use it face on unless sure of your shots

and generally within 2 feet

like a passing target where you get 2 through the thinner nasal cavity

or up under the jaw pointed towards the top rear of the skull ( Cerabral cortex shot)

the orbits ( eye socket ) ridges can deflect a short barrel .22 even point blank if not within a 10-15 degree line as can the cheek bone and teeth

they prefer the rear behind the ear or directly behind and upward entering just to the side of the spine to ensure the round enters the skull

look at a average skull of any animal , its way thinner there ( and ice picks are a good tool at that point too) a average male skull can be penetrated with a stick there

the round enters then runs around inside like a rat in a hot box till the energy is spent

but this is assasination not CQB ( Close Quarter Combat) a entirely different theory and not what i think the OP was asking

a 4" barrel is way better than a 2", 6" better again

at any length over 4" the energy should defeat most bone at 20 feet and under

below this barrel length it gets iffy, ( less energy) and will be 100% reliant on placement as stated above

but a .22LR in the gut is gonna hurt like hell, but adrenalin and drugs do amazing things for endurance and capability as will heavy clothing and thick fat layers

if a .22 is the choice get as long a barrel as you can and use as high a velocity ammo as the weapon can take safely and preferably hollow points for expansion ( greater energy transfer and shock impact)

and again

practice practice practice

a .22 LR in capable hands is deadly as are all guns

its up to you to be as capable as you can be

cheers

jack
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Jack, I agree with you.
  7. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi folks! +1 to both the answers. Anyway a compact gun in .40 it's better.
  8. tnbrdnrd

tnbrdnrd New Member

Thanks so much to you folks who have given me such good advice. Thanks to you Terry P for the link to the Pistol Wear holster which looks like exactly what I need. I am going to send the link to my daughter who jogs, too. I already know that I am going to have to practice, practice, practice with whatever I choose because the only thing that I am truly comfortable shooting right now is a Ruger 10/22. (Pesky parasite cowbirds.) Thanks again.
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    well as the saying goes,it beats a rock.any firearm is better than no firearm if a 22 is all you have then get proficient with it.as was said before an eyeball is hard to hit under stress,i prefere the teeth.still hard but not quite.i do not condone killing anyone but if you must.chk laws in your state re self defense.i have a friend that was attacked in his home at three in the morning,attacker used a knife.this happened in a dark hallway.he fired his 357 five times,one round hit felon in back,dark hallway you dont know if he is coming at you or going away.well the felon died and my buddy went to prison for 18 months.it was argued that if he hadnt fired that last shot that they say hit him in the back he would still be alive(our government at work)lets protect the criminals,right. think over and over again what your willing to do and what the effects will be afterwards. old semperfi
  10. Popeye

Popeye New Member

I imagine it would be better than harsh language, at bad breath range.
  11. Max Donovan

Max Donovan New Member

Some years ago, the insurance company I worked for paid several months of disability to a man shot in the leg with 22LR, out of a pistol I believe, at point blank range by his eight-year-old son. The bullet hit his right femur in about the middle and broke it into eight pieces. He was instantly and totally disabled and remained so for weeks.
  12. wpage

wpage New Member

.22 is preferred by poachers since it is quiet and deadly. The mob liked it for similar reasons in trained hands. Silent but deadly the Mosad. Not a weapon of choice but like the cop that lived...
    Whatever works!
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

As stated in the previous posts, a .22 is better then nothing. I know when I'm out working on my own property (as of late), Ive been carrying a 9 shot .22 just for the simple fact that it's small and it's a cheap gun (but shoots well) and it doesnt matter if it gets banged up or treated bad.
    3" barrel and nine shots and I can get all nine shots in a 10" group at right up to 50 yrds, so if it's needed I'm sure it's gonna do some damage!
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have never been in a gun fight! And don't want to get into one either! However, great shot placement usually requires aiming. If you are in a gun fight, and you have time to aim .............! Maybe you need to stop and think about what you're doing. Don't know about you folks, but if the BG is shooting at me, I'll be huntin' cover, not aiming at him! I want to be the one that gets off the first shot! And I'm sure that I won't have time to aim it! I'll carry enough bullet to make up for a shot that is not as well placed as I would like!
  15. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

A .22 would be better than nothing at all. Point is that you want to 1.) deter the attacker, or 2.) stop them in their tracks with a hit. Great point about shooting under stress. I practice a lot, and still shooting at a paper target or a tin can is a bunch different than shooting in a defensive situation. When your adrenaline is up and your heart is racing, it is awfully difficult to shoot like you do at the range. Bet you won't shoot nickle sized groups at 10 feet. You're lucky to hit a pie-pan if you are really stressed-out. But plenty of practice does help.
  16. red14

red14 New Member

I appreciate everyone's opinion. But, with my arthritic hands, the only thing I can carry is a small 22lr. I wish I could carry a 357, 38, or even 32, but I can't. At my size, a gunfight is a losing situation anyway. My 'Earl' (or other mini) is all I can carry. It will have to do.
  17. tnbrdnrd

tnbrdnrd New Member

I have small arthritic hands, also, particularly in my thumbs. Several of you folks recommended the Ruger LCR 5-shot 38 for me to use when walking on my small isolated highway. I have had 3 opportunities to handle the LCR and I LOVE it! It is light as a feather and the grip is ergonomically designed so that it fits my poor hands perfectly. I am saving my $$$ right now to purchase it in the next few wks. Problem is, everybody else seems to like it, too, because several of the dealers that I have talked with have said that they sell as fast as they arrive at the store. Red14, if you want a 38, I strongly recommend that you have a look at this one. It is much easier for me to use than my husband's Colt 22.
  18. jtmcculloch

jtmcculloch New Member

In 1981 Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Reagan with a 22. 1 shot in the stomach dropped a secret service agent like a rock. 1 shot to the back of the neck dropped a police officer like a rock. Neither got up. 1 shot hit James Brady in the head, dropped him too. Did not get up. 1 bullet RICOCHETED off the car and hit Reagan on the left side under his arm in the chest. It hit a rib and went almost completely through his lung. The underestimated 22 will work for self defense very well.
  19. vytoland

vytoland New Member

the .22lr shot from a S&W revolver will take out the trash when needed.
  20. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

A .22 that you have is much better that anything bigger you don't. As for defense purposes, I once read a piece that said "people shot with a .22 go on as if nothing has happened, and then they just die".