22lr for self defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 2nd Abeliever, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Max Donovan

Max Donovan Member

Some years ago, the insurance company I worked for paid several months of disability to a man shot in the leg with 22LR, out of a pistol I believe, at point blank range by his eight-year-old son. The bullet hit his right femur in about the middle and broke it into eight pieces. He was instantly and totally disabled and remained so for weeks.
  2. wpage

wpage Active Member

.22 is preferred by poachers since it is quiet and deadly. The mob liked it for similar reasons in trained hands. Silent but deadly the Mosad. Not a weapon of choice but like the cop that lived...
    Whatever works!
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

As stated in the previous posts, a .22 is better then nothing. I know when I'm out working on my own property (as of late), Ive been carrying a 9 shot .22 just for the simple fact that it's small and it's a cheap gun (but shoots well) and it doesnt matter if it gets banged up or treated bad.
    3" barrel and nine shots and I can get all nine shots in a 10" group at right up to 50 yrds, so if it's needed I'm sure it's gonna do some damage!
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have never been in a gun fight! And don't want to get into one either! However, great shot placement usually requires aiming. If you are in a gun fight, and you have time to aim .............! Maybe you need to stop and think about what you're doing. Don't know about you folks, but if the BG is shooting at me, I'll be huntin' cover, not aiming at him! I want to be the one that gets off the first shot! And I'm sure that I won't have time to aim it! I'll carry enough bullet to make up for a shot that is not as well placed as I would like!
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

A .22 would be better than nothing at all. Point is that you want to 1.) deter the attacker, or 2.) stop them in their tracks with a hit. Great point about shooting under stress. I practice a lot, and still shooting at a paper target or a tin can is a bunch different than shooting in a defensive situation. When your adrenaline is up and your heart is racing, it is awfully difficult to shoot like you do at the range. Bet you won't shoot nickle sized groups at 10 feet. You're lucky to hit a pie-pan if you are really stressed-out. But plenty of practice does help.
  6. red14

red14 Active Member

I appreciate everyone's opinion. But, with my arthritic hands, the only thing I can carry is a small 22lr. I wish I could carry a 357, 38, or even 32, but I can't. At my size, a gunfight is a losing situation anyway. My 'Earl' (or other mini) is all I can carry. It will have to do.
  7. tnbrdnrd

tnbrdnrd New Member

I have small arthritic hands, also, particularly in my thumbs. Several of you folks recommended the Ruger LCR 5-shot 38 for me to use when walking on my small isolated highway. I have had 3 opportunities to handle the LCR and I LOVE it! It is light as a feather and the grip is ergonomically designed so that it fits my poor hands perfectly. I am saving my $$$ right now to purchase it in the next few wks. Problem is, everybody else seems to like it, too, because several of the dealers that I have talked with have said that they sell as fast as they arrive at the store. Red14, if you want a 38, I strongly recommend that you have a look at this one. It is much easier for me to use than my husband's Colt 22.
  8. jtmcculloch

jtmcculloch New Member

In 1981 Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Reagan with a 22. 1 shot in the stomach dropped a secret service agent like a rock. 1 shot to the back of the neck dropped a police officer like a rock. Neither got up. 1 shot hit James Brady in the head, dropped him too. Did not get up. 1 bullet RICOCHETED off the car and hit Reagan on the left side under his arm in the chest. It hit a rib and went almost completely through his lung. The underestimated 22 will work for self defense very well.
  9. vytoland

vytoland New Member

the .22lr shot from a S&W revolver will take out the trash when needed.
  10. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

A .22 that you have is much better that anything bigger you don't. As for defense purposes, I once read a piece that said "people shot with a .22 go on as if nothing has happened, and then they just die".
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Funny this thread came up again. I was just on another thread here and they were debating the use of 9 mil for self defence. A lot of the guys felt it was not big enough.
  12. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Ask Ronald Reagan what it's like getting shot with a .22, Quick Secret Service action and great doctors saved his life, which he was very close to losing to a single .22 round.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  13. jtmcculloch

jtmcculloch New Member

In 1981 Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Reagan with a 22. 1 shot in the stomach dropped a secret service agent like a rock. 1 shot to the back of the neck dropped a police officer like a rock. Neither got up. 1 shot hit James Brady in the head, dropped him too. Did not get up. 1 bullet RICOCHETED off the car and hit Reagan on the left side under his arm in the chest. It hit a rib and went almost completely through his lung. The underestimated 22 will work for self defense very well.

a .22 LR bullet is capable of inflicting very serious injuries (e.g. the four people wounded during the Reagan assassination attempt) or death e.g. the Kauhajoki school shooting (11 killed and 1 wounded), the Jokela school shooting (8 killed and 1 wounded), or the 1979 Cleveland Elementary School shooting (2 killed and 8 wounded) as well as the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. Numerous other shooting incidents have demonstrated that .22 LR bullets can easily kill or seriously injure humans
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

3yr old thread awakened.....?
    Yep, and I'm happy to see it. LEST WE ALL FORGET
    in our 'know it all' status of which we believe best.

Somewhere, in days long past, was an article in
    [Boy's Life, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science,.....etc]
    The title of it was "From Mice To Moose" and I wish so hard
    that I could find it.
    It depicted the .22lr for what capabilities it truly has, in a way
    I have never seen before.....or maybe just because I am old.
    Any of you research gurus can find this article PLEASE PLEASE
    send me the link.....I can't locate it.
    [Alpo ? ]
  15. blackbird94

blackbird94 Member

my cpl instructor ( a Mich St. Police swat team and firearms instructor) said most self defense shooting situations are 3 3 3 , 3 feet 3 seconds, and 3 rounds, he did say now 6 rounds is more common. What 3 rounds at 3 feet do you want to fire? Your call completely