22LR or 22WMR ?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Contenderizer, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I'm in the market for a new 22 and I've decided on a CZ 452 FS (I believe it's the only rim-fire available today with a Mannlicher stock). The CZ is available in 17HMR, 22LR and 22WMR.

I've decided to pass on the 17, but now I can't decide if I want the 22 LR or the 22 Mag. Yes, I know the mag will cost more to shoot, but this won't be my go-to-gun for plinking. I'll use it for small game hunting and a little target practice.

The CZ with the full stock is such a neat gun, I guess I'm leaning toward the 22 WMR simply because it elevates the gun to a slightly higher level of "uniqueness." After all, everyone has a 22LR. What say you?

Attached Files:

2. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

If your hunting eating meat I would lean towards the .22lr if shooting gophers and woodchucks then the .22 mag would be my definite choice
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I agree with Grunt, with the exception of the meat classification. I think everyone should own a 'few' .22s. The WMR is 'unique' as you say, but I don't see a really good reason to have one.

The LR will put food on the table with ease. If you're varmint hunting, why not go to the .223? Ammo is comparable pricewise, but performance is day and night.

My $.02 less taxes.:eek:
  4. 22shot

22shot New Member

Contenderizer

Don't know if you have other .22LR; rifles; if you do; I would go for it (the .22WMR).

In my opinion; the .22WMR is not a "plinker" as oposed to the .22LR. Not many .22WMR "target" shooters out there either; much wider choice of ammo with the .22LR.

I have several .22's; but one WMR. (cyotes; bobcat and such) That's the only reason I bought it.

I will probably sell it (the WMR) if I can find a good deal on .22 Hornet.

The .17 is a Hyperdaisy!
  5. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

If you decide on the .22mag. Try Hornady 34 gr. I think you'll like them. I do.
  6. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The .22 Mag is great little gun for shooting varmints at close range. They work well on prairie dogs out to 100 yds. I have found them too light for shooting coyotes in open country. They make great small game rifles as well shooting the .22 WRA. The .22 special round is .224 and loaded at 1,000 fps works fine on rabbits etc. The .22 Spec. rounds are high but so are the .22 Mags. I have found that a box of the .22 Spec. last a long time when only used for shooting smallgame.

RC
  7. Swede

Swede New Member

I bought a CZ FS in 22 mag. After some thought I thought it would make a good P-dog rifle. It wears a Leupold 4-12 right now.

[​IMG]

Haven't used it for P-dogs yet but it is a great shooting rifle. It'll but them in there 1"- 1.5" @ 100yds with a variety of ammo, but seems to like the 30-35gr best. I still need to try it at 200 to see what it'll do.
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

.22 Mag has come a long way since the 90's.

Try the Hornady 33-grain @2200 FPS! :D

For 'yotes, i like Federal Game-Shok 50-grain @ 1650
  9. Sandman

Sandman New Member

If it is primarily for hunting, I would go .22 mag without hesitation. Much superior performance. Great for everything from squirrels to hogs.
  10. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Bobits, This has always been my mindset on WMR as well. I have always felt that the cost of ammo was greater than any added value relative to performance.

22shot seems to agree, as he is suggesting that he would trade his WMR for a 22 Hornet should the right deal come around. I tend to agree with him, and I have given thought to ordering the gun in 22 Hornet, however, the cost of the gun is about $200 higher. Nevertheless, given that I reload both 22 Hornet and 22 K-Hornet, the ideal is tempting.

Big Shrek is also correct, the WMR has been improved over the years and ammo options are much greater than they used to be. The Hornady ammo that he (and Swede, Hunterfisher and RC) recommends, seems to bring the WMR to a new level of performance.

STILL NOT SURE ... but leaning toward the 22 WMR.