.22LR pistol: First

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

z537z
    (2/8/03 12:12:19 am)
    Reply .22LR pistol: First
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been shooting for a while and want a .22LR pistol. Having shot my friend's 2nd ed. Woodsman (which is an outstanding pistol) for a while, I'm set on high quality and accuracy.

I'm divided between two ranges:

300$ range:
    Walther P22
    S&W 422 (some model or other)
    Taurus 95 revolver

500$ range:
    Browning Buckmark (Target, Field)
    High Standard (Victor, Trophy)
    Beretta 87 Target

Any thoughts, links of reviews, suggestions?

Thanks

_z

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/03 12:31:29 am)
    Reply Re: .22LR pistol: First
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RUGER!!!

z537z
    (2/8/03 1:43:22 am)
    Reply Ruger
    From what I've read, the Buckmark seems to be more accurate than the Ruger.

I do like the look of the MarkII Gov't and Competition Target.

22/45 is about 100 cheaper. Why?

More thoughts?

_z

VIPERGTSR01
    (2/8/03 5:49:28 am)
    Reply BROWNING
    I would go for the buckmark target looks good and is accurate.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/03 8:53:12 am)
    Reply Re: BROWNING
    The 22/45 does not have a metal lower frame.....

I have been shooting the 22/45`s for many years and will match any one of mine with any of the above. 5-1/2 BB with target trigger and sights. Course I have hammered on them a little.......but not much---hehehehe

LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/8/03 11:42:49 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: BROWNING
    Those Colt Woodsmans are nice.

I would get the Browning or the High Standard. Both have classic styling and the accuracy and dependability to out perform the others.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

z537z
    (2/8/03 12:34:01 pm)
    Thanks guys.

I'll keep you updated once I get the money .

_z

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/8/03 1:54:18 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: BROWNING
    I have a 22/45 that is really accurate.

I had a Ruger MkII that was also accurate.

My dad has a Buckmark target that can light matches at 25 yds. all daay long.

All that being said, I'd go with High Standard...'cause I like 'em.

Point is...check 'em all out and see what YOU like. Everybody has opinions...it is yours that matters most.

2003 Rose Bowl Champions!!!!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/9/03 1:59:38 am)
    Ruger Mark II!

-12 gauge when you want to REALLY get serious.

gram22
    (2/9/03 9:18:16 pm)
    I don't know you guys, those P22's look like some nice little pistols. The Germans did a great thing when they made the PPK. Of course, this is all just IMHO, not starting a war here. I guess I like the Walther's because I have had my eyes set on them for a while myself. They look like little combat pistols (they were modeled after the P99 of course).

No matter what I said up there, it all boils down to these few things everytime. Ask yourself what your going to use it for. Ask yourself how much your willing to spend. Does the gun balance well and feel good in your hands? Is it what YOU want?

There is my two cents, now someone be good and give me a completely opposite opinion (that's what makes this board fun).

NEtracker
    (2/18/03 11:31:50 am)
    Reply Walther P22
    I have a P99 9mm, and the P22 3.42".
    The P22 is about 75% scale.
    The P22 is not the same mechanically as the P99.
    The P22 is however a great little pistol, and I use it a lot to introduce new shooters to the sport. It does not fit large hands very well, even with the larger backstrap, so anyone considering one should hold it to see how it fits (well, that really goes for any handgun). The P22 is not for serious "bullseye" work & competition, but it is accurate for it's design.

Sigtrygg
    (2/19/03 9:39:22 am)
    Hi z537z
    I´m totaly new here, and i´m from Germany.
    I own a .22 Colt Woodsman Match Target wich is the same Age as me. It was build in 1967. I shot alot of Guns, but I´m in love with this Gun.
    Why do you look for something else? How much is a used Woodsman in the States?

I would never go with anything else, and I think only Rust can destroy this Gun.

Mine was for Years used as the "Beginners"-Gun in our Shooting-Club, so it will have put a lot of .22 Slugs into the Target. It`s still in use, and never gets out of the "10" when i have a good Day!

I would say, save a little more money and go with the Original!

Greetings from Germany!

Michael

z537z
    (2/19/03 3:01:32 pm)
    Reply Woodsman: Can it get any better?
    My friend's got a first edition (got it (free!) from his Grandfather) Woodsman, and having put a number (about 100) of rounds through it, I can appreciate how great it is. He's gotten really accurate with it.
    Blued steel, walnut grips, original 10rd. (NEVER fail, unbreakable, last forever) mag, just beautiful.

They're not cheap though!

His looks like this, not sure of his year of mfg.
    www.colt22.com/jg/1/1849_13_128917.html

Someone ought to start a petition to get this gun made again.

Got any links of where else one might pick up a used one? I still prefer the style of today's guns (I'm leaning towards a CZ75 w/ .22 conversion), but this is a classic.

Thanks for the input

_z

Sigtrygg
    (2/19/03 4:15:43 pm)
    Reply Re: Woodsman: Can it get any better?
    Hi z537z

2000$...

I´m a little shocked! I also found Mine...
    www.colt22.com/jg/3/1851_12_040953S.html

Also with "German Proofs"... And i take it to the Range about two times a Week.

Nice to know how much it is... but I will never take another .22 Pistol.
    I also have a SIG P210, and a .357 Manurhin, but this one will always be my Favorit Gun.

Michael

P.S Because it was the "Trainings-Pistol" of our Gun Club, and the many Shots it Fired, it was sold to me for 50 Mark...
    About 20 US-$

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/19/03 11:41:59 pm)
    Reply Re: Woodsman: Can it get any better?
    Ruger Mark II or 22/45.
    I've got a 1911, and frequently teach new folks how to handle / shoot, so I opted for the 22/45 as a training / break-in piece.

Rich

z537z
    (2/20/03 12:19:07 am)
    Reply bastard!
    Yeah, they don't come cheap.
    I've seen them around for the 600$ range.

Yours is damn good looking as well, and I'd pick one up for up to 400 good cond. in a flash.

I'll see what I see on the classified sites when the day comes (21st Bday...*sigh*).

20 bucks!!! MAN

_z

Trog777
    (3/1/03 7:20:37 pm)
    Ok, Newbie post. Had to reply to this as it seems I'm in the great minority. Been shooting for 30 years or so and have owned and shot a crapload of different pistols. Some I've liked, some I thought sucked. I'm now retired (early because of the big C) and am shooting more than ever. Since you're asking for opinions, I thought I'd just throw my .02 in too.
    The Ruger 22/45 is in my opinion the best .22 auto for the money on the market today followed closely by the Browning Buckmark. The Sig Trailside is very accurate but has feeding problems (first hand experience), the Smith you asked about didn't impress me with it's accuracy or workmanship. I've had no experience with the p22 but it sure is pretty.
    Having said all this, for my money the Beretta 87T is the best of the lot. Is it worth double the price of my 22/45, probably not, but to me you're talking about apples and oranges anyway. If it came down between the Beretta and ol' trusty Smith 41, I thought I'd never say it but the Beretta would stay.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/03 7:35:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: .22LR pistol: First
    Trog777, Welcome!!! When you come here you'll never be a "Newbie" just a member. Jump into any of the other topic forums and share your experience. These here feller's-n-gals is good people!...

Trog777
    (3/2/03 11:21:45 am)
    Thanks fer the welcome SG. Haf to agree with ya on the folks from the posts I've read so far. I think an ol' hick from tobacco road may fit right in here.
  2. lesrles

lesrles New Member

Here is another way to get great results.
    To start ; Look at Brownells Kits for trigger pull and sights.
  3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Check the dates, this is a very old post and most of the posters are long gone now.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

long before my time.:eek:
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i would not leave the mark ll out of the picture with the bull barrel,however buy only what feels best in your hand,and you will be happy with your purchase. old semperfi
  6. xm774u

xm774u Former Guest

ruger mk 3 standard i love this pistol i have a colt challenger its great to
    i hate my ruger 45 wanna be gave it to the wife grr i hate plastic on a gun its sloppy
    all ready
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the plastic grips, but the Ruger 45acp is pretty rugged.
    Ive had mine for "several" years and it is still just like it was when I bought it, and right on the money.;)