.22lr pistols

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by TAS, Feb 16, 2012.

1. TAS

TAS New Member

Hey guys just lookin for some opinions. I've been debating on getting a conversion kit for my glock 19 so I can get some more range time in for less $$$, but it seems everywhere I look is out of stock. So it got me looking at some alternatives..

I found a ISSC Austria M22 which seems to be a long lost cousins of my glock 19 just in the .22 caliber, does anyone here have any experience with one of these..

I have also been looking at the S&W M&P 22, which looks like a nice .22 pistol, again anyone have good or bad reviews?

Or should I scrap all these and just go with the tried and true browning buck mark I always here good things about, I like the style of the glock clone and S&W but is the browning far superior in performance?

Thank you for any comments and reviews in advance.
  2. TAS

TAS New Member

Just a note, the range I go to does not carry either one of these to rent or else I wouldn't be asking, they do however have the browning buck mark just haven't taken the time to try it out yet as I'd prefer the style of the above 2
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Get a Ruger MKIII....that's all you need.
  4. wingspar

wingspar Member

The new Ruger SR22 is getting rave reviews.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

In handguns today there are several general classes of semi-auto pistols.

If you are looking to do tactical practice and you have only one defense gun then a conversion for your GLOCK makes sense. These new plastic guns like the Ruger and some 1911 22 are also tactical practice guns.

Then there are the plinkers. They are those bottom of the line guns almost everyone sells like the Buckmark Camper, or the plastic framed Ruger. These are for fun shooting of cans and any other filed targets.

Lastly are the TARGET 22 guns. These are the top of the line Buckmarks, the S&W Model 41, the new High Standards (stainless framed models have all the glitches worked out in the cloning of the Connecticut Hi Std guns), the Benelli MP95E, etc..

The pricing is the thing that usually indicates which class these guns fall into. The more expensive target models tend to be a lot more accurate than say the plinkers.

The first step is to decide the gun's use to help eliminate ones that don't fit the job.

As an aside, most target guns have the sights fixed to the barrel and the barrel, of course, is fixed to the frame. That means the sights don't ride the slide in recoil. That is said to be one of the reason the target class of 22LR semi-auto pistols are more accurate.

LDBennett
  6. ctrcs

ctrcs New Member

I ordered a Beretta Neos from Bud's this week for $214 with free shipping. I know that they look a little odd, but are accurate and totally reliable. I have 2 friends that have them and have shot both of them with various ammo. I tend to not like the the conversion route, but others will tell you that is the way to go. Good luck.
  7. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

I found this site with them (Advantage arms glock & 1911 22lr conversions) in stock the majority of the time. they shipped quickly and this was great especially since i waited over a year for a ciener kit. the local sherrif had to assist me in getting a refund from his company.

anyhow, here's the link:
    http://www.cmcgov.com/store/pc/Adva...for-Glock-17-22-24-31-34-35-IN-STOCK-p589.htm

the kit does cost almost as much as a 22lr, but it does let you practice with the lower of your glock. (What i was wanting) just browse the site for your model Glock.

the buckmark & ruger and most of the high end pistols are excellent as others have stated. it all comes down to getting the pistol for the purpose that you want. IMO that is the most important consideration when purchasing.

Hope this helps,

Curlyjoe

Adendum: I just browsed the CMC site and it looks like the model 19's are indeed out of stock but some of the compact models are available. didn't mean to send you down a rabbit hole.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. TAS

TAS New Member

Ha, don't worry about it curlyjoe, I appreciate the input and effort everyone
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I love my neos and if I were you I would order 4 extractors and springs to go with it. I have been through 2 on mine. It is just a weak design but a cheap fix.
  10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

The Buck Mark is an excellent pistol and very accurate. Probably the best trigger out of the box. The Ruger standards and Mark IIs are a better gun than the Mk III for ease of take down and less lawyer gadgets. The SW 22A has been getting some good reviews. If you want a good pistol to shoot with accuracy and not just shoot holes in the ground, pick up a used BM, Rugar or a Challenger II. The Neos doesn't have the creds of the others for the most part. If you want a better pistol for target and shooting, go with the Medalist/Nomad/Challenger I or the Model 41. You are looking at $1000 for the Medalist and Mdl 41s. The new High Standards will run you about the same. Just depends on what you want to do. I have one each of most of the above and love shooting all of them. My Single Six and Bearcat are in there vying for shooting time along with the long guns. So many targets, so little time. :D ;) df
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

With the Houston Texas High Standards you have to be a bit careful. The current model with the stainless (in the raw) frame and blued slide are excellent guns. TX Hi Std's that are all blued may or may not be OK. TX Hi Std went through a many year learning curve and early guns were rather spotty on reliability for feeding ammo due to frame dimensional problems only recently worked out.

I have the latest version (actually an early version on which TX Hi Std recently replaced the frame with a current version stainless frame fixing the feeding problems I suffered for nearly a decade, all for free). My "new" gun shoots very well and has no problem feeding ammo. The guns mags are tuned for CCI Standard Velocity ammo and other ammos MAY have feeding problems and only trying other ammos will prove they don't.

I do recommend the latest version Hi Std Pistols!

LDBennett