22lr revolver 9 shot

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ms6852, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ms6852

ms6852 Member

I would like to get a 22lr 9-shot revolver...any suggestions, recommendations?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Only nine-shot 22 revolver I can think of is the High Standard. They are not made anymore, so you'd have to look for used. There is the Double Nine, which looks like a single action cowboy gun, but is double action, and there is the Sentinel, which looks like a modern double action gun.

I think the H&R break-opens were eight-shot. Smith and Wesson makes a ten-shot.

I had a Sentinel Mark IV, with both cylinders. Wish I hadn't sold it. It was a great gun. Smith and Wesson revolvers are some of the best made. I have no experience with H&R.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Speaking of High Standard, read the thread called Cheap Treasures, in this section.
  4. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

H&R's were 9 shot. The Sportsman models were excellent shooters, as were many of thier other less expensive models.
    Prices are however rising quickly for the nicer condition pieces.
  5. DKA

DKA New Member

H&R 929, built like a tank, very good but getting expensive.
  6. ms6852

ms6852 Member

Thanks guys, will look into the H&R's and S&W.
  7. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I had one from New England Firearms, a fine gun. I traded it for ammo. Have other .22 revolvers, so this one was redundant, and harder to find parts for & get gunsmiths to work on. But cheap. I bought it from a hole-in-the-wall gunshop in W.VA. for $150, and traded it for $300 worth of 9mm. I've seen 'em for as little as $75.
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

The High Standard Sentinel is a great revolver. But the price is rising. I had one with a 6 in. barrel years ago that was stolen with some of my long guns. it was a really great revolver, and as stated already, very accurate. DF
  9. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    H&R made lots of 9 shot revolvers. Not that easy to find, so keep looking at all your local gun shops. TJ
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Although I have no experience with this particular gun, Taurus makes a 9 shot .22 revolver. It's the model 990. $355 at Budsgunshop.com

I've shot and worked on the High Standard Sentinel before. It's a good gun but like anything has its flaws. I tried to remedy my grandpa's Sentinel in how the ejector spring is screwy but I can't find the correctly tapered spring to fit, even at Numrich... I'd buy a newer revolver and stay away from the High Standards, etc...
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  11. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 to the H&R Model 999. I've owned two of them. In my experience they have a better trigger than the High Standard revolvers. The guys are right about the prices nowadays. 999s are not cheap guns anymore.
  12. icm856

icm856 New Member

I have a Taurus model 94. It's a 9 shot 22lr with a 4" barrel. I have shot every kind of 22 ammo in it from CCI mini mags to Aguila subsonics and no powders.

It's a nice little gun to take along on fishing trips. I paid around $300 for it.

[​IMG]
  13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I have the taurus 94 just like the one above,only mine is black.It was $290 new
  14. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

I have a Hi Standard .22 9-shot revolver and love it. It has never failed me in any way and it was given to me by my dad. It does kind of look like an old "western" gun, but hey, it does the job!

Attached Files:

15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have one of the High Standard Double-Nine's also, it look exactly like the one above. I wonder if they only made them with the "pearl" handles.

I also had one of the High Standard Sentinels that I lost. It is the only gun that I have owned that I just plain lost. I have no idea where it went to, just disappeared during one of my many moves while in the Army.