.22lr survival sit.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by john riley, Dec 1, 2006.

1. john riley

john riley New Member

building a small survival kit around a .22lr and would like tom stock with a variety of diff ammo for 3 circumstances and wanted to collect opinions on what types are rec. for each 1)smallgame /foraging 2)medium to larger game/defense (i know the 22lr is less than ideal for mid game and defense, but strictly for a survival sit)
  2. ken w.

ken w. New Member

I think you could get buy with one ammo.I would use CCI MiniMags.You could take a deer down if you know where to shoot it with these as well as small game.I don't recomend deer hunting with a .22,but if you have to survive this is what I would use.
  3. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

cci longs for close up game, Aguila hypervelocity, for longer range, flatter trajectory , since it is the fastest of the 22lr's, and then Aquila 60 grain sniper subsonics, solid lead bullets. Hits em and hurts.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A mini mag will take car of all the above catagories some rat shot wouldn't be bad either
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

quik-shok by CCI is one that you should read up on. I have a few 1000 stored just in case I ever want them :D ;)
    Ron
  6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Depends on what your firearm shoots best. I would suggest CCI Mini-Mags and/or Stingers.
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

It seems to me that what 'makes meat' is shot placement, not velocity, bullet fragmentation, or anything else; 'stick' a game animal, or a man, for that matter, in the right place, and we're done; miss that spot, sometimes by only a little, and the chore starts, anew.
    Buy the ammo your survival weapon shoots the most accurately, then hope that you never need to use it!
    My personal SHTF gun is a Brno Model 2, built in 1957, and likes Eley Black Box, so I store a quantity of it, with the rifle, and rotate it periodically. Rotate, as in, shoot it up, and replace it, with that rifle; so far, no degradation of accuracy has been observed, and it gives me another excuse to go shooting!
    Hope this helps.
  8. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

Federal .22 HP are by far the best IMO
  9. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

For a survival kit for NYC your gonna need something bigger than a 22lr.:D :D --JMJ--
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Rimfire Rat, google the American 180, if you think the RIGHT .22 LR is a bit light in the britches, for NYC.
    I've seen and shot this boat anchor, and you would be surprised as how quickly a cement block wall goes away, with it's help!
    Simple solution is to avoid trouble, altogether, and live in a more reasonable place.
    NYC, Washington, DC, Kalifohnea, in general, and San Francisco, in particular, come to mind, as 'problem areas'.
    Here, we assume one is armed, and able. The message is " He really will shoot my a**, and the Court will agree with him!", and it it mostly true.
    Hope this helps.