.22LR - What range is your Zero for hunting?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Kent Detective, Nov 1, 2010.

1. copey

copey New Member

i hate cats got two in my house her in doors loves them.i wouldnt harm 1 though but that goliath of a cat that resides in my freinds barn is evil.

my lurcher got a right pasting of it.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

guess im ok then, I fed the worms and got rid of a few pests;)
  3. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

50 yards for me and my grandmother(a very long time ago) used to set out "magic cat food" for them whem I was a kid. Needless to say the cats never came around anymore.
  4. 22shot

22shot New Member

Kent Detctive-
    Read the post here; lots of cat stories; have a few of my own; but your question was about .22 "zero".
    Nice bolt action .22's you have.

As to "zero" you didn't mention your sights; open or scoped?

If scoped; is it columated for a .22 (has to do with efective range; a .22's is a lot shorter then that of a 7.62.). Mounting a big scope may be cool; but is a waste (optically and cost) at the ranges a .22lLR is typicaly effective.

I'll assume it's scoped ; fixed 6X (best all around) and with optics designed for .22's.
    I'll also assume that the scope mount is clamped to the groves in the reciever; and not the "see through"type.
    One more assumption: The furry little critters are at 'rest' munching or checking you out. If they are bouncing all about; hither and yon; you need a 12 gauge to be effective. ( no zero needed.)

A .22 "0" at 75 yds. is good; depending on your ammo; I see you live in England (jolly 'ol) so a brand called Elley is availible. Good stuff... the rifleing in your .22's will like it. In any case; once you pick out a brand; don't switch without knowing where that new little slug will end up.

Back to zeroing..

The bore is about 2-2 1/2 inches below your line of sight through the scope; a standard velocity .22HP will "drop" about 1/2- 3/4 inch at 75 yds; so if you "zero" at 75 yds. with the afformentioned scope the bullet path will be slightly above the cross hairs at about 50- 60 yds; below them at 30 yds; or less. Obviouslly at the muzzle it is 2-2 1/2 below.
    A rabbits head is around 2 1/2 inches in diameter; know his distance as you scope him out; the "limits" of your sight and weapon; and you will become addept at seeing that red fog.

One shot; one kill.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I love my cats. Allready said it. They also do not run about. Here is one little source of shy cats need elimination

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/materials/predation.pdf
  6. 22shot

22shot New Member

Kent Detective-

One more thing,,,

It doesn't have a lot (if anything) to do with "zero"; but a lot to do with accuracy, If you shoot "prone" or from a rest, they won't make much difference; but for those "off hand" shots, it could mean the difference between a clean kill and a wounded rabbit...

It's a thing called a "trigger shoe": a little item that fastens unto your rifles trigger with little "Allen" set screws.
    It's "ribbed" and ; being wider than the trigger; distributes the "pull" over a wider area. This lessens the chance of you "twisting" the weapon; ever so slightly, when you pull the trigger. It will also seem to "lighten" the effort needed to pull the trigger. Your felt resistance will be a lot less.

These little thngs work; my .22 bolt actions would seem naked without them.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  7. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

Trigger shoe eh? I will do a bit of research and come back on that one. Thanks. :)
  8. EvanB

EvanB New Member

GENTLEMEN! Check out CCI Velocitors and every article you can research. Out of my Ruger 10/22's, target barrels and trigger jobs, I am under a nickle size for 10 shot groups at 70 yards. Between zero and 70, the rise is less than an inch and 3" low at 100 yards. It is a full 40 grain HP and a little hotter than standard .22LR but the case isnt any longer than standard unlike another Hyper Velocity round.
  9. brookes_husband

brookes_husband New Member

This is the best explanation of the .22lr zero that I have ever seen... I have a 3-9x on a Remington 522 and keep it at about 5-6x for zeroing at 75 yards... Kudo's to you for knowing what you are talking about and having the vanishing ability to explain it to others... SSG
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    [​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]I gather from your comment about mildot sights you are a scope man, with a scope I do a 50 yard zero, due to old eye balls and a cheap 46 year old single shot gun with iron sights I do 25 yards, Works for me. Can't hardly see a squirrel in the tree's much farther than that and the old iron sighted gun is lighter and easier for this old dinosaur to cart around.
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    How in the dickens can I downsize that image, I didn't mean to put up a billboard.