The Firearms Forum banner

22mag vs. 17hmr

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  wv hillbilly 
#1 ·
Witch would you choose for all things breathing! from alvin and the chipmonks to Al quida! I know there are better choices but these are your options witch one and why? use your Imagination!

#6 ·
For squirrels and other small game, the .17 HMR is awesome! It does however have its problems. The round with ballistic tipped ammo is EXTREMELY explosive. I have shot it into a chicken egg and it fully expanded and fractured into shrapnel before exiting. That's not acceptable for larger game. The .17 HMR soft point and milder hollow points may penetrate a bit more but I'm not sure how much more... For that reason, a .17 HMR is a novelty to me but I'd have to choose a .22 WMR for any kind of defense greater than the rodent kind.

#7 ·
i've gone back to .22 WMR after few years with the .17 variants

.17 tear things up too much under 100 and a lot of my shooting is half that for fur's

while i do head shot nearly every time i dont want scraps on the head , it can add 10% maybe 15% to a furs price if the scalp (and depending on the fur , the ears) are good

17 explodes a bunnys bonce , wmr no ,

can blow a fox skull so it tears too

for killing its fine , but they do a lot of damage to small game if you want it for fur or food

#8 ·
For squirrels and other small game, the .17 HMR is awesome! It does however have its problems. The round with ballistic tipped ammo is EXTREMELY explosive. I have shot it into a chicken egg and it fully expanded and fractured into shrapnel before exiting. That's not acceptable for larger game. The .17 HMR soft point and milder hollow points may penetrate a bit more but I'm not sure how much more... For that reason, a .17 HMR is a novelty to me but I'd have to choose a .22 WMR for any kind of defense greater than the rodent kind.
Thanks for the post bro! So for Rats and Al Quida the 17hmr! and for men and anything else the 22mag right.....?

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the post bro! So for Rats and Al Quida the 17hmr! and for men and anything else the 22mag right.....?
No, Al Qaeda isn't even thin enough to cause serious damage with the .17 HMR... :eek:

Of course, I wouldn't recommend going after them unless you're wearing a government issued BDU anyway... Seriously..

#12 ·
i've gone back to .22 WMR after few years with the .17 variants

.17 tear things up too much under 100 and a lot of my shooting is half that for fur's

while i do head shot nearly every time i dont want scraps on the head , it can add 10% maybe 15% to a furs price if the scalp (and depending on the fur , the ears) are good

17 explodes a bunnys bonce , wmr no ,

can blow a fox skull so it tears too

for killing its fine , but they do a lot of damage to small game if you want it for fur or food
That is just about what I suspected! 17 wouldn't work as a squirrel gun, nothing left to eat!

#14 ·
Jack, here in my part of the U.S. we eat the heads of the squirrels too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.