243 brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bassn7, Dec 27, 2009.

1. bassn7

bassn7 New Member

A friend of mine's son got a 243 win for xmas and I see that case is listed as a necked down 308 which I have a lot of , can you or how do you neck them down or isn't practical to do this?
    Thanks
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never tried necking a case down, my neighbor necked down some 30.06 to make them .270. He said that it was a pain in the butt and I know he only did a few and then went and bought .270 ammo so he would have the brass.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

It can be done, but it's a bunch of extra work.
    With the abundance of factory .243 brass I personally don't think it's practical...it's not like you're forming for an oddball or wildcat cartridge. BUT, if you've got lots of brass that's not being used then the extra work might offset the cost of buying new brass. Your call.

Once you've got the cases necked down, you'll have to check the neck wall thickness. The necks will probably be too thick and need to be turned to meet SAAMI specs.

Another thing to beware of if you do neck down NATO 7.62 brass...
    Some 7.62 brass has a thicker case around the head & body area which makes for a smaller internal volume. This can make load development a pain since you'll have to be extra cautious about approaching max loads.
  4. bassn7

bassn7 New Member

Thanks for answers I think that was a bad idea I see brass is only about 34$ a 100 so lots of wasted time, for not much gain