243 load data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cjj, Nov 11, 2009.

1. cjj

cjj New Member

Hello I am going to load some 243 with H 414 , 100 gr speer btsp I have 6 different manuals Everyove has something different Speer manual starts at 30 gr and go's to 34 gr The hodgdon on line data starts at 37gr and go's to 40 gr The Hodgdon manual starts at 39gr and go's to 42gr the lyman manual starts at 35 gr and go's to 39 gr Man I don't Know were to start any help would be appreciated thanks
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i would start at 30 grains and work you way up.
  3. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I ran into the same thing with my 22-250. I eventually saw that every caliber in existence is the same. I worked my way up to the max of the maxes. It made more noise. It had way more blast. Even my sister commented on the difference. But in the end, the max-max loads shot like "crap" If I'm used to seeing 1/2 to 3/4 groups, 1.25 groups don't really cut it. I'll take a loss of 150 fps (I'm guessing, I don't have a chrony) to gain that half inch back. What good is missing a varmint at 400 yards even if you have the fastest load available for your gun?

And those max loads were clearly hard on the brass as well.

Shoot them only for amusement. It seems everyone here has a similar opinion to mine. More noise, more blast, less reloading (from cartridge failures), and less accuracy.

You'll probably find the mid-range loads are the most accurate. Though the low-level loads are nice due to being less noisy.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. cjj

cjj New Member

Well I call speer and they were very helpful they said to start at 36.5 and and go to 40.5 max i agree with the bang thing, never had much luck going to the max I have tryed 4 or 5 different bullets and and about 4 different powders i can't seem get a group under 1 in well I will just keep trying That is the fun of reloading Thanks for the help