.243 reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jon fennell, Nov 9, 2009.

1. jon fennell

jon fennell New Member

Hi
    I am new to reloading and having trouble reloading .243win with speer 70grain HP`s. Shooting very flat wide groups (2 inch or so) Using speer guide standard loads with reloader 19 powder. Any ideas?
    Thanks JF
  2. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

That may be a wind issue. The trajectory seem to be the same, but one bullet is hitting a different speed gust from the next....If it's was at all breezy, I wouldn't change anything and wait for a still day to shoot.
    Guns usually don't make strings like that unless there is a reason, in your case quite possibly the wind. Or worse yet, your scope mount may be just loose enough to allow for some minor horizontal movement, but not vertical.
    Usually groups are more or less circular (at least triangular with three shot groups.) Check your screws and shoot again on a still day.
  3. jon fennell

jon fennell New Member

Thanks
    Good thought as to be fair it was more windy than usual however did not think I would see so much effect over a short range (100m)
    Will try again!
    Cheers
    Jon
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The Nosler manual list Varget as the most accurate powder for a 70 gr bullet. Sometimes the rifle will not like a certain powder. If your rest was sound and good trigger control then I'd either try a different bullet or different powder.