25-06 loads?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 444 marlin, Jun 21, 2012.

1. 444 marlin

444 marlin New Member

Has anyone tried the sierra 70 grain blitz varmit bullet? what worked best for you? I also got some nosler ballistic silver tip varmint bullets 85 grain with some kind of coating on them,I got them by mistake I wanted the 85 blue tip and the guy gave me these and I never noticed till I was home,too far to return them so I will try and work up a load for them.I am doing 5 shot group ladder tests right now.
    thanks Wayne
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the 75gr HP (Varminter line)?
    I don't see a 70gr .257" in their lineup unless it's an old discontinued bullet.

I ran a few of the 75gr HPs through my 25-06 quite a few years ago but they were way too destructive on coyote hides so I stopped using them.
    It's an accurate bullet out of my Ruger 77 though so I burned up those bullets on range shooting and to make an occasional gopher disappearing act (they would just vaporize!).
    I was using both IMR4350 and H4831. Both powders pushed the 75gr to 3400-3500fps out of a 24" barrel.
    The wind pushed it around quite a bit though too. Kinda like 40gr out of a .22-250, once you're out to 300yds even a light wind shoves it all over the place.

I"m guessing that the coated ballistic tips that you got are the Combined Technology (Nosler/Winchester) with a black moly coating and a silver tip? If so, you can load em with regular Ballistic Tip data. I've never used them in my own rifles so I can't report any results though.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. zachp

zachp New Member

I have had the best luck with the Speer 100 gr and the Speer 117 gr. Using IMR4895 i got a 3 shot group about the size of a half dollar out of my NEF Handi Rifle.
  4. 444 marlin

444 marlin New Member

the 70 grain blitz is a new bullet,I will start with the 75 grain data and see what it looks like.
  5. zachp

zachp New Member

I would imagine if it is a new bullet that Sierra would be able to provide you with loading data with no problems. Just email or call them, im sure they will fix you up.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

DOH! I checked their website, but was looking for a Blitz hollow-point not the poly-tipped BlitzKing. My bad...I shoulda looked further down the list.
    It's not in the 5th Ed. (5th printing manual either...newest Sierra manual that I've got on the shelf.

Maybe you've already got a newer manual that has data listed but otherwise...
    Like zachp suggested, try contacting Sierra to see if they've got an addendum to their manual that includes data for that bullet/cartridge.
    Back in the pre-internet days I always had good customer service from Sierra. I haven't contacted them with any questions in quite a few years but I would sure hope that hospitality is still alive and well in Missouri. :)
  7. 444 marlin

444 marlin New Member

I phoned sierra,and they said to use the 75 grain data,shot 4 5shot groups today,h4831sc a couple of promising groups will split them,and go up 2 grains at a time either side of original groups.It looks like those 85 nosler silvertip with that black coating might be a winner,back for more testing.
    thanks guys