.25 pistol question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Chris_k, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Chris_k

Chris_k New Member

I was talking with a buddy of mine and he had mentioned that he wanted a handgun to have around the house for protection. He has no kids and wants a cheap pistol to store in his nightstand. He asked me about a 22 or a 25. Now, I remember reading an add in Shotgun news where a company was offering .25 pistols for like $30 bucks and for the life of me I can't remember which one. I went to check my stockpile of back issues only to find that my wife had tossed 'em.

My question is, could someone oplease thumb through some of your back issues and find this add for me so I could give him the web address?

Thanks in advance.
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend buying a gun like that. How cheap is his life? What's his life worth?

Go spend a couple hundred on a good used revolver, and rely on that. Or tell him to buy a shotgun and sleep easy.
  3. I must agree with graehaven on this one. IMHO, there are two things one should never buy cheap: tools and firearms. I once made the mistake of buying a Raven .25, back when I was young, foolish, and poor. I'm still poor, but no longer young and foolish. :D A cheap firearm works just fine as long as it is in the nightstand, but what happens if it actually has to be used? Dependability is EVERYTHING when it comes to a defensive firearm, more important than caliber or anything else. Add to that the .25 (and to a lesser extent, a .22) is a woefully poor self-defense weapon in terms of stopping power. If he must have a short-barreled automatic in one of those calibers, he would be much better off buying a Beretta Bobcat.
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

If he never needs the gun, your friend's plan will work.

If he does need it, the money he saved by going cheap won't seem like such a good deal.

That said, there are some cheap $50 .25 autos that work. If he can find a gun shop with a shooting range and try out any purchase, he may be OK.

Any (working) gun is better than no gun.
  5. Chris_k

Chris_k New Member

To all above posters:

That's what I said. I told him that it was a waste of time and money, but I figured that a trip to the range would show him that his $30 of protection was good for about five rounds....the five rounds fired at the range. Either way he insisted, so I told him I'd see what I could do.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I don't know which is more foolish, wasting the $30 plus ammo cost or thinking he is protected with a 25 or a 22. Look for a used 38 Spl or if he wants inexpensive a single shot shotgun will serve much better than an 8 shot 25 ACP.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  7. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I have a small Beretta .25 auto. While it has never jammed on me and is easy to load. You can not shoot a darn thing with it. I could stand 5 feet away from a target and maybe get 2 shots in the target. I think he could find a nice .38 used for a good price.
  8. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

From what I understand a small .25 is only used for one thing, and its only used once. Close range--as in inches for one purpose. As others have suggested if he wants to plink, get a 22, if he wants protection 38 or larger. He should do his research--making sure the gun fits em. Just my thoughts.
  9. GulfCoastRocketman

GulfCoastRocketman New Member

We actually had this conversation at work the other day.

The .22 would be a better (although it not a good) choice - at least with the .22 you'd hit the target.

If he buys the .25 make sure he knows how to throw - it would be more effective for defense if he threw it at the the intruder in stead of trying to shoot them with it.
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The .25 is actually a very accurate cartridge, but few people will learn to shoot the little guns that chamber it. It is also more powerful than the .22 LR from a short barrel, and is more reliable. It's not the best defense caliber, but it beats harsh language, or throwing rocks.
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

At 65 ft/lbs of energy it has about the same muzzle energy as the recoil energy generated by a 10 ga or 3 1/2" 12 ga shotgun. The point being it may be better than nothing but not much and for relatively short money something more effective can be purchased used in decent condition.
  12. bonkerpro

bonkerpro New Member

I have a good friend locally who is a LEO, and years back he answered a fist-fight/gun call that resulted from a card game gone south between drug heads.

Druggie A thought Druggie B was cheating and said so.

Druggie B denied it and went to stand up.

Druggie A pulled a pistol from his pocket and shot him in the forehead with a .25 cal round.

Druggie B reached across the table and snatched it out of his hand, and then the brawl was on!

The round pierced the skin, and then turned and went partially around his skull under the skin and exited above his right ear.

After a trip to the ER for a bit of clean up and an antibiotic, Druggie B was incarcerated with the others.

Not to hijack the discussion, but is your friend a closet democrat? :)
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Guys, I think we're going about this in entirely the wrong way. Instead of offering instant discouragement about his uninformed choice, I think we need to encourage this brand new shooter to get out to a shooting range!

Even if he really wants a micro-caliber, Chris, I would recommend making him shoot a (nearly) full size .22 like the Walther P22 or SIG Mosquito. Both of these guns function just like their larger counterparts (the Walther P99--James Bond's newest gun--and the SIG P226), so it is good training, anyway. If he can get hooked on shooting, then he'll want to move up to bigger calibers.

While you're at the range shooting, try explaining that a .22 or a .25 certainly can stop an intruder, but only if the hits occur in very specific places on the body. If he's not going to put in the time to be capable of hitting those specific places consistently, then he needs a weapon that requires less precision.

You know, for that same $30 he would spend on this little .25, he could buy a blowgun that will also stop an intruder if the hits occur in those exact same specific places on the body. And blowgun darts are reusable!
  14. redtail1949

redtail1949 New Member

I own two .25 Autos one a Colt bought 1967 and the other a Berretta bought 1968. I have never had any malfuction with either gun. I have fired that colt a least 5,000 Rounds. (YES I DO RELOAD FOR THAT LITTLE BABY).

I also have a Bernardelli Model 80 in .22 LR, Beretta .22 Short, and one in .22LR, as well as a Walther PPKS in .22 LR all guns are 40 years old have had thousands and thousands of rounds through them I remember a few failure to feed problems with both guns but those were all related to magazine problems. I have four mags for each gun and both have one magazine each that give me a problem. I have marked them and never have them in the guns when I plan to have them available for protection. I use them when I go out plinking. I feel very comfy with any of those guns ready at home or on the road.

A .25 or .22 should be considered as a last ditch defense weapon, however , let no one kid you it will kill and it certainly take the fight out of most that it does not kill. There just not the best to use for that purpose but they will do if called upon.

To the person not into reloading, a quality .22 probably would serve him better. Cheap ammo and available almost anywhere. The .22 LR is deadly and will also take the spunk out of most tuff guys that it does not kill.

I have carried all hunting, fishing, camping as well as trips around the state. I can put the Colt or Berettas it behind a pack of cigaretts in my pocket and you will not know it is there. (I know "CONCEALED" OMG)

Certainly if you want a real dedicated home or personal defense pistol there are many that would be much better in a larger caliber. Whether semi auto or revolver is a matter of choice as well as experience..plus considerations as to else inb the home might be called on to use it. It not a lot of time with the weapon a double action revolver would would be my recomendation.

The comments prior to mine about a quality RELIABLE FIREARM is the first thing to consider. If it is not reliable and can not be made so with maybe a little effort, get rid of it no matter who made it. Also, remember it must be tested with the ammo you plan to shoot in it for defense.

However, most weapons in the Colt Beretta Smith and Wesson quality are reliable or can be made so.

So i would say by a well made .22 LR and do not look back enjoy it.

Redtail1949
  15. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Have your friend read the responses given to this thread. Good info from knowledgeable people. If he will not heed advice from these folks who know about guns, then he is an idiot!! Sorry to be so harsh, but it's true.