1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

25 Stevens Ammo Dimensions

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Enfield, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Hi Guys
    I have a Stevens favorite in 25 rim fire, obviously 25 rim fire is not available now (or hard to find) so I have made a breach block with a central firing pin and plan to make some custom 25 centre fire cases and a mould and cast some lead projectiles. The gun is in great condition however I would only run it on a pinch of black powder to keep things safe.

What I am after are the dimensions for a 25 stevens round to machine up the cases, any info on the projectiles would also be usefull.

Thanks

Enfield in NZ
  2. packetsplace

packetsplace Member

.25 Stevens: bullet diameter .251, neck dia .276, base dia .276, rim dia .333, case length 1.125. Cartridge length 1.395. This is all in inch mesurement.
  3. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

Making a breech block tells me your a pretty handy guy. I would suggest that you consider using 22 Hornet cases and run those cases through a custom die by RCBS that will open the case mouth to accept .257 bullets and then re-chambering your rifle instead of making center fire cases. I just looked up the dimensions of the Hornet and it would work well. As for bullets your original weight was 67 grains when re-chambered it I would make the chamber accept .257 bullets so you could just go buy them anywhere, but then you would ONLY be able to shoot "progressive burning" smokeless powder and never never black powder. The added .006 on the diameter won't hurt a thing with smokeless powder. See P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders Volume II. He has a piece in there titled "A few cases of blow ups" and that should put your mind at ease utilizing the larger bullet. Also some manufacturers at the end of production were loading the 25 Stevens with smokless powder. I hope that helps.

Ron
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  4. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Thanks very much for the replies

I now have two good options to consider - when time allows and I can get on with this project (one of many) I will report back

It will be great to get this old gun breathing smoke and fire again

Cheers

Enfield in NZ