25 Stevens special ammo update

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Enfield, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Following on from my post re "Stevens Ammo Dimensions" I decided that I would like to make my own special ammo because Stevens 25 rimfire is all but not available here so I have made a new breach block for my old Stevens Favorite to covert the gun to centre fire so what I needed was reloadable center fire ammo made to 25 rimfire dimensions. With today being raining it was a perfect day to go into the shed.

I tried to match up the size advised in my previous post but things did not quite stack up so I had a cunning plan to determine the exact size of the chamber of my old gun I measured it as best I could (I could not go that deep into the chamber with the nibs of my vernier) then turned up a soft hollow copper plug of around the correct size. I then carefully forced this into the chamber where it easily formed to the shape/size. I then used some thick metal polish on the copper plug to lap the chamber and get a good clean fit.

From there I could easily measure the plug and have made my first prototype brass case complete with centre fire primer pocket. So now I have a reloadable centre fire case to 25 rimfire dimensions.

I have tried it out with a light load of blackpowder and a wad and IT WORKS !!! great fun.

The next stage is to make a few more cases then a mould (I may go for .25 balls) then try it out for real.

I know it will be far from accurate but it is a great fun project and should make a good little gun for the garden, just bit more fun that the 22.

See photo of the plug the first case and a 22 for scale

Cheers

Enfield in NZ

Attached Files:

2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

An interesting project!:)
    Looks to be going well. I can't offer any advice as I've never gone for converting rim to center fire.

You being in New Zealand reminds me of the first time I was there in 1967. My mom was raised in Lower Hut & went to Wellington Girls School. All her family still lives there. I was visiting my Aunt & Uncle when one night there was a rustling in the garden & my Uncle grabbed his .22 rifle. I was young & begged him not to shoot whatever criitter was out eating his veg. I snuck out & found it was a hedgehog. They let me keep it as a pet for the 2 months I was there.

My uncle told me that my two cousins were issued .22lr ammo by the government every month to help cull the rabbit population. They went back & forth to Australia a lot so I'm not sure which country that was in. I wanted to sign up for that.

I was there for the storm that sunk the Wahini & we went to pick up pieces of the wreckage that next morning.

My cousin Meredith is coming in tonight & I'm going to the airport to pick her up. She's from Lower Hut & will be visiting family here for a month or so.

Regards
    Popgunner
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

Enfield, very crafty, innovative and very cool the way you "cast" the chamber. As I said before you are very handy guy.

Ron
  4. Enfield

Enfield New Member

Thanks for the compliment Ron, I will keep you informed of progress.

Popgunner interesting to know about your family, it sure is a small world.
    We live up North in a town called Whangarei (your folks should know it) and funny enough me and the wife have a trip to Wellington booked for mid October, just a short holiday to have a look around. I went down to help our Wellington office for a week and had a quick look around and it seemed to be a nice place - send your cousin my best wishes - she is a long way from home

Cheers

Enfield