257 Roberts vs. 257 Kimber

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Frogtop, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I was looking at LoadData.com today for loads for my Kimber 257 Roberts and noticed a category for 257 Kimber. I didn't know that there was such a cartridge. Anyone out there with any experience with it and how does it compare to the Roberts?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The .257Kimber is a fairly recent wildcat similar to an old wildcat called the .25 Copperhead or .25-222 Copperhead.
    It is the .222RemMagnum (not the original .222Rem) necked up to .257 caliber. I'm not sure of the exact shoulder angle for either version since I don't have my Cartridge of the World book with me at the moment.
    You can also use .204Ruger brass to make the cartridge since the .204 is also based on the .222RemMag. A lot easier to find .204 brass these days than .222RemMag.

Nothing that you can use for your .257Roberts data-wise though.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Bindernut, thanks for the info. That is one piece of confusion I can now ignore.
  4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

Frogtop:

I designed the .257 Kimber to fill a marketing need/opportunity for Greg Warne while he was enjoying the first flush of popularity of the #84. We can't shoot deer/elk,etc. here on the West Coast with the .22 cals. so have to go up to .25 with 1000 fpe/100yds.

The #84 action was perfect for a little longer ctg., so therefore the 25 dia. seemed the best way to do it (feed/magazine,etc.).

Well, it became a hell of a ctg....ballistics of the 250/3000 in a tiny package. (87 Gr. @3,000+) and accurate as could be dreamed.

Nothing in anyway related to Ned Roberts .25 --- but a super effective tiny little round.

All went to hell when the Kimber name(and that,s about all went to New York.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I figure based on the parent case capacity and the general weight range of the .257 dia projectiles it would be ballistically identical to the 6X45 (6mm/.223). Just about all youd ever need for deer sized game anywhere in america..
  6. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Thanks
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF Mike! Nice to hear the history of a wildcat (or any cartridge) from it's developer.
  8. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

Just chanced upon it after a nod from Handloader story by Layne S. that the wife found in the mail. (Don't worry, just be good). There's a lot of additional good stories from the 80's/90's with the Clackamas guys, (no, just Greg,) as I'm certain Steve Timm can relate.

There was a wide-eyed-innocence back then which directed us to "why not?'

Maybe there are a great many tech-savvy fellas now - but I monitored my lovely eyebrows by 1/8 gr.

I've retired a long time ago - please no idiot questions abt Savage 110s (they are perfect AND UGLY AS YOUR NUN)
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I love savages. Ugly or not they are easy to build and tough as anything out there.
  10. Mike Hill

Mike Hill New Member

I took a photo of various wildcats mentioned here all lined up - from .222 Rem to 257 Roberts. I'd submit it if someone is interested -and tells me how to attach it. I've tried... unsuccessfully so far - or e-mail it to anyone who posts their address.

Mike Hill