260 Remington OR 6.5 X 55

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by olmossbak, May 21, 2009.

1. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Anyone have any experience with the 260 Remington. I am considering getting on or a 6.5X 55 so I would appreciate any opinions.
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup,
    I had to try it when the cartridge first showed up a few years ago...plus I got one dirt-cheap. Still have that 700 sitting on the rack and I seldom use it. Ballistically they're twins when you compare the .260 to the Swede chambered in a modern rifle (not the early Mausers).
    The one advantage that the .260 has is that it fits in a short-action rifle (2.8" COAL compared to 3.15")...but if you've got plans on loading the good old 160gr round nose you'll probably have to seat it deeper than the cannelure to keep the bullet off of the lands. If you're sticking with 140gr or lighter, that's usually not an issue.

The only advantage I've seen as an improvement over the old Swede is that it's short enough to cycle through a short-action.

The factory barrel twist is 1-8" for both the .260 and modern 6.5x55s like the Ruger77, Rem700, or CZ550 so it's more tuned for 140gr than the 160s anyway.

Both of em are a little spendy to buy factory ammo for...but in my area, the fact that they're an "oddball" means that as of late I've actually seen both rounds available at my local haunts...next to bare slots for the everyday cartridges like the .270, .308, .30-06, .243, etc... :)

Personally, I don't see the .260 replacing the Swede or becoming a super popular cartridge. I guess time will tell if it lasts as long as some of the other .308-based "wildcats-gone-commercial" like the .243 or the 7mm-08.
  3. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Binder,

You say that you seldom use the 260. Is that because you don't care for it or is there a caliber/loading that you prefer?
  4. Bindernut

I seldom use it because it's pretty much a duplicate of the 6.5x55 (which I've now got 3 rifles chambered for!).

It's not that the .260 isn't as good as the Swede, just because I really don't like the way the wood 700 ADL/BDL stock fits my body. That goes for that stock regardless of caliber on the three 700s that I've got. The only 700 that I shoot regularly is my Classic in .250 Savage. I might shoot that .260 more if I would restock it with something that fit me better...like the 700 Classic pattern in my case.

The only real reason I bought it is that it was dirt cheap and I'm a 6.5mm nut. I've got three 6.5x55s (an M96, an M38, and a CZ550), that .260 700, and a .264 WinMag FN Mauser. I'm also scheming on building a 6.5-06 and a 6.5x57, I've got my eye on a NIB 673 Guide Rifle in 6.5 RemMag that's been collecting dust at a local gun shop for a couple years, and if I ever win the lottery I'm going on a serious hunt for an early 6.5x54 MS carbine.
    So many 6.5mms and so little time/money!

I guess the moral of that rambling is if you find a good .260, it'll get the job done just as nicely as a 6.5x55.
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Get the Swede. It will handle the heavier bullets better and it has the KOOL Factor.
  6. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

OK, ya'll got me looking seriously at the Swede. Please tell me about the CZ550. How is the trigger and does it need bedding or is it set to go out of the box?

I have some time to look into this as I intend to reduce some inventory to finance the purchase. I have a Benelli R1 in 300 Win mag and a Rem 870 TC Trap that will have to fine new homes to make room for the Swede. That combo should cover a rifle and a good scope but I don't anticipate a quick sale.
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  7. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I have 3 CZ rifles. One 550 American in 9.3x62, one 550 Full Stock in 6.5x55 and a 527 in 221 fireball. All three of these rifles shot MOA or better right out of the box. I did have them bedded, just cuz that's what I do. The triggers on the CZ's come with a single set trigger and are fully adjustable. The new 550 have a trimmed down stock and are supposed to be less bulky than the old ones like mine. I have read that some CZ owners have been disapointed in the fit and finish of the stock on their CZ's. I have not had that problem. Mine fit good and look good too.

I also have a Win M70 Featherweight Stainless Wood in 6.5x55. This is one sweet little rifle. It's not near as accurate as my CZ, but it's a dandy just the same.

Here are a few CZ targets.
    This is what my 12 year old did with his CZ 527 221 fireball five rounds at 100 yards.
    [​IMG]

Here is my 550 9.3x62 at 100 yards.
    [​IMG]
  8. Bindernut

I don't have any targets to post up of my 6.5x55 CZ550 American, but it has been doing about 1"-1.5" with mild (old-mauser strength) handloads using the bulk Rem 140PSP.
    I'm still breaking the barrel in on it so I haven't been paying too much attention to group size yet. I'll get serious on checking it's accuracy after I get about 500 rounds through it, but for now it's been doing a great job on whitetails and coyotes.

I've been rather impressed with how mine is fitted compared to what I've seen from both Ruger and Remington the last few years. It's about a 6 year old rifle, but the new ones I've seen seem to be fitted just as nicely. The barrel is fully floated with pretty good clearance all the way up the channel...the gap is about 3 dollar bills worth so. The action inletting is pretty good. I MAY wind up bedding the action but unless I have serious grouping trouble I plan to keep the barrel floating.

The action was a little rough and you can see some coarse machine marks on the bolt raceway but after a bunch of dry-cycling it has smoothed up very nicely.

The trigger, as Steve posted is a fully adjustable single-set trigger. Since mine is a hunting rig I seldom use the set function but have the regular trigger pull weight tuned up to 5lbs and very crisp.

The CZ aren't finished as nicely as the old Brno rifles (same company/factory, just a few years modernized), but they're a very nice rifle for what you can buy em for. If you can find a local dealer check em out.
  9. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Thanks Steve and Binder for your input. Sounds like a quality rifle. The only CZs I've seen have been 22s. Will now check out the 550.
  10. LASIE

LASIE New Member

What kind of a price do they have on the NIB 673 Guide Rifle in 6.5 RemMag?