26mm scope mounting question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jboy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jboy

Jboy Member

Have a excellent old Kollmorgan scope which has a 26mm tube which equals 1.02362 inches and so mounting it in a 1 inch set of rings will mark it. Thinking of trying Burris Signature 1" Zee Rings with the inserts and wondering if the inserts will compress enough to allow the scope to be mounted without creating scope rings or other damage to the scope.

Found some Tally 26mm rings but they have to use Tally mounts and the rifle will not accept these mounts without drilling holes into it which is not going to happen. I do like the quick detach feature of the Tally rings as it would be useful in this application.

Any ideas? TIA
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

3. Jboy

Jboy Member

Thank you as the ring inserts from Mounting Solutions look great and will open up many possibilities. I had noticed the Tally rings and spoke to Tally. They would be my first choice except they will not fit onto a CZ527 without drilling the receiver for new Tally mounts. The world of 30mm rings will do it. All I need to do is get the Weaver adapter from CZ and pick out some rings.

Thanks again. I would never have found this solution.
    J
  4. Skipper

Skipper Member

5. Jboy

Jboy Member

Thanks Skipper, I did send them an email this morning and have not yet received a response. Ordered the 30mm to 26mm ring inserts from Mounting Solutions Plus and will get hold of a 30 mm Warne quick detach scope mount (item number 14B1LG) for the CZ527 and not have to buy the Weaver adapter from CZ. Should end up with a solid mounting that can be easily removed to go back to iron sights if desired.

Your help is appreciated.

J
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Jboy, what type bases do you have?
    Numrich has some 26mm Leupold/Redfield rings I used for my Kollmorgan on a small ring Mauser.
    Another option that a Mauser Central forum member used, was 1" rings he "lapped" out to 26mm.
  7. Jboy

Jboy Member

It is a CZ527 Carbine which has the CZ 16mm bases. CZ sells a Weaver adapter which I would rather not use. Warne sells some detachable CZ527 rings in 30mm which with the 30mm to 26mm adapters should work and also protect the scope from scope rinmgs. I want quick detach rings so that I can go back to irons easily and maybe someday there will be another 527 in my futurre : ). The Warne rings are the the cheapest but they save me the cost of the Weaver adapter and appear to be very good quality. Buy quality and cry when you buy it. Buy low quality and cry every time you use it. Took me a few trys at a spooting scope to learn this is true.

Which Kollmorgan do you have? I have a 4x with crosshair reticle and it seems to be a fine scope which is little and should not ruin the feel of the small CZ.
  8. Jboy

Jboy Member

should have read the Warne rings are not the cheapest, so much for my typing skills
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

were only talking .02".. I would just lap a set of 1 inch rings to fit snug..
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

110% true! I love it!!
  11. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

JLA,

Having been there done that, simple lapping is a real PITA....A lathe job its more likely, as this much lapping would have me plumb worn out!

Seriously the major scope mount manufactures back in the 60 and 70's all made 26mm rings. I know a scope trader who always has a few sets of the older Redfield mount and rings. He would be my go to guy if I had a need. I am partial to German Nickle scopes and they are all 26mm tubed. For the CZ/Brno dovetail mounts I think the poster did the right thing, as these rifles have the bases built right in....

Regards, Kirk
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

I have one of the Kollmorgan made (56-59) Bear Cubs, Stith made them before that, and Redfield bought them out in 59.
    Check with Warne, I think they make a 26mm ring like you want.