The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

.270? Good bad? Mule Deer

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  drymag 
#1 ·
Hi I'm looking it getting a bolt action my local gun shop has a axis for $209. I have no idea about this round could anyone give me some knowledge about it. And if I should stay away from the .270 round and stick with 30-06 and .308.

Thanks

Buddy

#2 ·
The 270 WCF has been around since 1925 and is still one of the best medium game cartridges extant. It is the 30-06 necked from .308 to .277 with the case being slightly longer. The only reason not to get one is because you simply prefer the 308 or -06.

#5 ·
I don't have a .270 but I know hunters who swear by it; it's definitely an excellent deer rifle caliber. As for the Axis, I'm told that it's a low quality rifle at a poor man's price point, but I have one in .243 and find no problems with it. That said, I haven't shot it often, since it was purchased on impulse and served to remind me how much I hate bolt actions. But it hasn't failed me, and seems quite accurate, and it cost a lot more than $209.

#6 ·
For deer sized game, the .270 will do everything that the .30-06 and .308 will. Once you get up into moose and elk, the .30 calibers do have heavier bullet weights to choose from for more energy...but I know a lot of guys that use the .270 on elk with no problems though too.

Like Sharps4590 said, basically the .270 Winchester is the .30-06 necked down to a slightly smaller bullet.
Some people see that "2" in the bore diameter and automatically think it's too small since it's just a "twenty-something".
On deer-size game animals, they won't know the difference between the .270 or the .30-06.

#8 ·
There is nothing wrong with the 270 as a hunting round, factory ammo is made in a wide variety of loads so you have choices. The Axis is a "plain jane" rifle that works well as long as you accept that it does not have all the bells-n-whistles of a higher price gun. At the price stated you can't go too far wrong. Find which load the gun likes and you are good to go.

#9 ·
hunting location and distance to deer play a role. So does your ability to shoot high power without flinching from recoil anticipation. Some guys get scared of .30-06 recoil etc. and miss shots letting the deer run for miles. My friend's dad grazed the back of a doe with a .308 @ 80 yards and she ran for 1 1/2 miles while I hit mine with my .270 @ 128 yards and she moved 2 feet (down).
I suggest you get plenty of range time to eliminate the recoil flinch after buying whatever rifle fits you and your budget. That was the difference between him and I. He pulls a trigger 3 or 4 times a year while mine gets regular exercise of 3 or 4 a month

#11 ·
American Rifleman June 2014 P40 has an article "Improving the .270 Win" with a round for big game (* note: all non-dangerous species). Specifically, they liked the 150gr Accu Bond LR due to less wind deflection and delivers more energy. Assume the note implied only the deer with rubber tipped antlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.