270 Savage Axis bolts

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by targetacqmgt, Sep 21, 2012.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Question: what would cause a failure to put the bolt back into the rifle?? Yes I DID press the release DOWN and the trigger back-however the bolt only slide forward to the cocking lug at the top of the bolt. Does this mean I have a decocking problem similiar to the Swede Mauser, ie it MUST be cocked to reinsert into the weapon??? If so how do I cock the bolt outside of the weapon??
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

No, it does not have to be cocked for the bolt to go back into the reciever.
    I'm not sure what the problem right off hand could be, but a bit of jigglin' might get it back in?
    And one thing two you might check, is to make sure....just twist the end of your bolt to make sure the both lugs are in proper line with each other as it only takes a bit for the bolt not to slide back in.
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Thanks - I have tried several variations of your suggetions - no go
    I have ordered a new extractor spring after I noted the extractor was NOT even witht the inside circle of the bolt head (savage recommends this is a should be)

Targetacq
  4. Zane71464

Is this a new Savage Axis?
    And, Welcome to the forums!
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

No not new I bought it used for 300. The SOB had the cojones to tell me it had never been fired. Stuck my finger in the receiver and it came out black-plus there was black ring around the firing pin. yeah right still it was an savage 270 axis. Figured the 270 round was easy to obtain.

Thanks for the Welcome
  6. Zane71464

Well all in all, the Axis has'nt been out all that long as they came out as the Savage Edge, so problably a lack of poor cleaning habits from the owner. Which is proabaly why the ejector is gunked up.

If you have'nt already, you might take you a container large enough, and soak the whole bolt in Hoppes #9 for a day or so and clean the heck out of it and lightly oil the ejector spring.

You gotta love the .270 Win. round....flat shooting caliber.
    I hope you get it back up and running soon and post a range report!;)
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It does have to be cocked to be put in and out of the rifle. If its uncocked the cocking piece wont line up with the bolt raceway.

To cock it just mash the forward edge of the cocking piece against the edge of the table and pull down and rotate the bolt counter clockwise until the cocking piece sits in its cocked notch. youre compressing a 30+ pound spring so dont poop yourself.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And if theres not a cartridge in the bolt head the extractor isnt going to line up with the edge. Itll be pushed inward toward the firing pin slightly. That is normal. no need to replace parts if they arent broken..
  9. Zane71464

Very true Josh, and my bad!
    I assumed that if he took it out, it would have already have been cocked with the cycle.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Youre assumtion is correct Dale. but he probably took the bolt apart to clean it.. He did mention changing something on the extractor.. And you have to decock the bolt to disassemble it. I caught that he said "the bolt only slide forward to the cocking lug at the top of the bolt" If the bolt is cocked the cocking piece is on the right side of the bolt when you place it back in the action, not the top.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  11. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Thanks - no I did not take the bolt apart BUT like a big dummy I tried to move the extractor so it was even and THEN the little ball bearing went flying and yet to be found.

Sooooooo I ordered a replacement bearing and a new spring (my thought here was this 270 had aparent heavy use before I got it used and a new extractor spring would not hurt.

The decocking verifies WHY i could not get the bolt back in-As I tried to get in I saw the cocking lug hitting the upper part of the bolt guide.

So my thought was correct in that an axis bolt should be treated like any other mauser bolt,

FYI I have a Turkish K98 that the Turks appear to have modified the bolt guide so the bolt will go in decocked. Or maybe the germans since this a licensed K98 copy?? I know the Turks were pro german in 1938 (mfg date of the rifle)
  12. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

It may have been BUT I did not take bolt out- a fella who was using it did (I had swaped it for a ,410 bold and 22lr semi). He has a Mosin as a loaner while I fixed the 270. I want him happy I might get some of his deer takings this season-I'll make deer burger out of it.:D
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I fit was decocked someone decocked it. They dont uncock themselves unless theres an issue with the bolt its self. Theres a little rest for the cocking piece to sit in when the bolt it out. and it has 30+ pounds of spring pressure holding it there and takes a bit of determination to decock one.
  14. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Twas a puzzlement to me-the fella who used it decocked it but I have not a clue how he did it. He came to me with the bolt out and complaining he could not get it back in????