The Firearms Forum banner

270 to 7mm-08 case forming?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  karlrudin 
#1 ·
Had a bunch of 270, so i decided to use these for my 7mm-08. I cut them down, full length sized, trimmed to long length, full length sized again, then trimmed to trim length for 7mm-08. I made 4 different over all lengths. .010-.025 off the lands for the bullet I was using. All powder charges were the same and @ the bottom of the reloading scale. Starting the furthest away from the lands and working closer. things were fine till I got to the loads that were .010 off the lands. These loads were noticeably harder. There were no other signs of pressure besides this. Cases extracted easy, no blown primers, etc. After further exam, the cases were showing a step at the case web. Micrometer says everything is in specs. Neck, shoulder, just above the web, and cases actually shrunk .003 in length. Double checked bullet to lands contact thinking it might have been that, nope. Anybody got any help?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
dropped it in a headspace guage and all seems well, just that swelling at the bottom is whats new to me. have fireformed 8mm Mauser the same way with 270 with loaded ammo. Never seen this with them lol

#5 ·
I have done this with 8mm Mauser also from 270 winchester. never had any problems like this. i'm just hoping that the extra stretch wont cause a problem. Doesnt really matter till the shooting ranges open back up again though. The one I use is at a national forest so that wont happen till all this funding is open again :(

#8 ·
I was there early on a Saturday morning before they were officially open and watched a crew of locals clean up the range. They picked up the trash that people leave to shoot at(empty boxes for targets, etc) picked up around the benches, checked the bathroom and used a leaf blower to remove all the empty aluminum cases and shotgun hulls away from the benches. Other than that, I don't see much else they do. Don't see why it isn't open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.