.270 Winchester loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Josh_Feight, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Josh_Feight

Josh_Feight New Member

I shoot a .270 and recently started using the Winchester Supreme 130gr. Balistic tips. I just got into reloading my own ammo and I was wondering if anyone knows what the factory specs are from Winchester. The factroy rounds shoot like a dream from my model 700. Ammo is getting mighty expensive these days and reloading would save me some green. I would like to know what powder they use, and how many grain they use from the factory. Any help would be appreciated!
  2. h2oking

h2oking Former Guest

Josh, while I haven't had a factory load of 270 ammo in years I would suspect they are loaded with some type of Winchester ball powder. My suggestion would be to get yourself an inertia bullet puller and pull one so you can see and weigh the powder. I might suggest two other things. IMR 4350 is a great powder for a lot of calibers uncluding your 270. I would also suggest that you load a heavier bullet. For years 130 and 150 were the mainstay of available bullets and a 150 will shoot flatter and hit harder at 500 yards than any 130 in your 270. Now there plenty of good 140 grainers out there and that is what I shoot in my 270. My son killed a nice deer last year with my loading and it shoots a little over one inch at 100 yards out of a 6 pound gun, while that is nothing spectacular it was good enough to kill a deer stone dead at about 200 yards.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I believe that WW uses 760 ball powder (or something very similar) in their 270 loads. I suspect you could get very close to duplicating the load with 760 and the 130grBT...or possibly an even "sweeter" load for your rifle with a little fine-tuning.

As for the charge weight...stick with data from the Nosler manual. I'm pretty sure they've got 760 listed for that weight in the .270 but my manuals are a couple hundred miles away right now.

As H2Oking posted, IMR4350 is another good powder choice for lighter bullets in the .270.
    I'm kinda fond of IMR4831 or H4831 for the .270 loads I've built up for my dad's rifle.

As for the trajectory and retained energy between the 130 and 150 in .277...it's pretty much a toss-up since both weights are very similar in ballistic cooefficient given a similar design and there's about a 100fps difference in velocity between the two weights. Check out the ballistic charts for your bullet of choice and velocity.
    Out to 300yds (longest shot I've taken with a .270), a deer isn't going to know the difference between 130, 140, or 150 when hit.
    BUT...the Ballistic Tip bullets (regardless of weight) are built lighter than say for instance a Nosler Partition and will not perform as well if you do wind up crunching bone.
  4. Josh_Feight

Josh_Feight New Member

I appreciate the help! I have a stock model 700 .270 that unbelievable, consitantly shoots dime size groups a 100 with the Silver Supreme factory loads. I have tried several other factory loads, and was about to get rid of that rifle and go spend a ton of green on something I did'nt need. I want to try to mimic what Winchester does in thier factory ammo. Some wise man said "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!"
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

binder nailed it, winchester supreme 760 is indeed exactly what they use in thier premium line of ammo, you can also buy the winchester BSTs at cabelas or order from midsouth shooters supply, just add good high quality brass, the stuff you have already shot is fine, and winchester primers, and you should be able to surpass the performance of winchesters factory ammo using the brass fireformed in your chamber. the 130 gr bullet is what the late Jack O'Connor of outdoor life magazine would have said to be the best choice for the .270 win. He is probably best described as the "Elmer Kieth" of the .270 cartridge. "Modern Reloading" 'second edition' lists: Win. 760 - 48.1 gr. starting @ 2770 fps. - 130 gr. jacketed bullet, min. OAL 3.100" / 52.0 gr. MAX @ 2990 fps. hope this helps, be safe... JLA
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  6. Josh_Feight

Josh_Feight New Member

Thanks JLA any info is appreciated. I was unsure if I would be able to match the factory specs. I looked all over the web for info, but appearently they are kinda secetive about their recipies! All my huntin buddies shoot .308's with Varget and 165gr. Nosler Partitians. The Noslers don't do so good out of my gun with the Varget. I was very suprised to find factory ammo that shoots this good.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yeah, the makers usually won't post up the data they use in their commercial loads...trade secret I suppose.

BTW, didja know that those Ballistic Silvertips are actually a Nosler bullet too? It's the regular Nosler Ballistic Tip with an alox coating on it. (Works like moly lube but it's a hard coating that doesn't mess off as easily as moly.)
    As JLA posted, you can buy them separately as components. Midway carries em too.

I had an old Remington 788 in 22-250 that just absolutely loved the Winchester 55gr SP factory load. I never was able to duplicate it's performance with reloads by following the same thinking you've got...same bullets, primer, case, etc. Tried all the WW ball powders listed in the manuals but I just couldn't find the "sweet spot" that the factory loads had. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did...but at least I had a lot of fun and took out quite a few fox, yotes, & prairie dogs trying! :cool:

BTW, I should add that even though I pulled a few of those factory loads apart to get the charge weight when I was trying to cross-reference the powder used in that 22-250 load, I still stuck with the min/max data from a manual. I would be fairly positive that the 270 uses WW760, but it might also be 780 or ???...don't assume anything without using proper data from a reputable manual!
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  8. Josh_Feight

Josh_Feight New Member

Well, trying out all the possibilities is part of the fun I guess. I have tried a couple different loads my .308 totting buddies have cooked up for me. It seems that I have a particular rifle. Oh well, if I can't duplicate the performance in reload I'll just stick with the factory load. I only use the rifle for hunting, and generaly a box of 20 will last me a couple seasons. I use my DPMS .223 for plinkin. It's a lot cheaper!
  9. RodneyJ

RodneyJ New Member

I know that you are trying to duplicate factory winchester loads but I was able to get the kind of groups your talking about using 54.5 gr of reloader 19and honady 130 gr bullets. My first groups with this load were a little larger but after trying a couple of different seating depths I found one that would shoot one ragged hole five shot groups. The powder charge is only a little higher than a starting load according to the manual. And shoots about 2 inches lower than the factory ammo I was shooting but much tighter groups. I also shot it out of a frinds rifle with simular results. I know all rifles shoot different but it may be worth a try
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. Swede

Swede New Member

My Ruger M77 in .270 will shoot Sierra .130gr FB into .75" @ 100yds using the old Oconner load of IMR4831. You can use H4831 also but you have to drop the powder charge.
  11. merrill

merrill New Member

Swede, how many grains of IMR 4831 did Oconner use. BTW, MODERN RELOADING by Richard Lee lists IMR4831 as a hotter powder than H4831. According to that book you should decrease the weight when using IMR 4831.