.270 wsm load problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by huntnaz, Sep 6, 2007.

1. huntnaz

huntnaz New Member

i would like to introduce myself b4 i start rambeling... my name is jimmy and i am from Az, i have a tika .270 wsm that i would like to start reloading for. I have tried to start but i have run into a problem that hopefullu someone can help me with...

remember i am new to reloading so i apologize if i am a bit slow at understanding what you are telling me :eek:

i have loaded about 10 rounds but when i put then in my gun they dont fit in the magazine (too long) and if i put one in the chamber the action wont close.

what could it be?
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Sounds like the bullet isn't seated properly and/or your cases are stretched.

What kind of reloading data did you use?

and what type of equipment?
  3. Mark

Mark New Member

I'm not getting enough information to help.

Angel is right about length. If they don't fit in the mag, length could be an issue. Gee, at this point, you might have so much powder you can't seat the bullet, who can tell?

Slow down and explain exactly what you have and what you are doing. There's lots of guys here that are eager to help out a new guy.
    Mark
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

If your rounds do not fit into the mag or chamber then the bullet is not seated deep enough. What is the cartridge overall length(COL) of your loads? To get this you would use your calipers and measure the total length. You should be somewhere around 2.80in for starters. If you do not have a set of calipers, you need to get one.
    What loading manuals do you have?
    What kind of dies are you using, Full Length or Neck sizing?
    Is the brass you are using new, once fired from your rifle, used range pick-ups, etc?
    Does a piece of "Resized" brass fit your chamber before you seat the bullet? Are you "Lubing" the inside of the neck when sizing?
  5. huntnaz

huntnaz New Member

ok, i adjusted the dies a bit and they are going in but stll feel a bit snug... is that normal? here is what i have for ya:

-i am using a lee press
    -going by nosler reloading guide and chose to go with 56gr (most accurate)
    -once fired brass from my gun (some reg. winchester some xp3)
    - newest rounds (10) are measuring between 2.780 amd 2.783 in length and fit the mag.
    -not lubing the inside... should i? i am lubing the outside and trying not to get any inside.
    - not sure on full length or neck... how would i find out?
    -yes "resized" brass fits snug too though

reloading is making me nervous, i dont know anyone that does it and i have never shot a reloaded round... please reassure me:)
  6. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

huntnaz,

First I suggest you do some serious research on the basics of reloading. Lots of good books out there and can be found on line or at most of the larger stores.

A quickie primer on reloading: first you have to set up your press/dies. Check the instructions but for most single stage presses the ram/holder ought to contact the bottom of the deprime/resize die when fully extended and the lever fully stroked.

You should LIGHTLY lube the case before depriming/resizing. So lightly you can barely feel it is plenty. Too much fouls the die and dents your cases. This step must be done right in order to set the headspace....your cartridge headspaces on the shoulder, so if you don't set it back enough the reload will chamber hard or not at all. After resizing clean the primer pocket, case neck bore and all lube from the case and reprime. Now you're ready to build a cartridge.

Select the correct powder for the bullet weight/type you're using. Weigh out a charge ON A POWDER SCALE several grains below maximum. Pour the charge into the case. Now install your seating die in the press and back out the bullet seating stem. Place the charged case into the shell holder and place the bullet on top. Slowly raise the ram until you feel a slight resistance. Turn down the seating stem until it contacts the bullet. Stroke the ram and remove the cartridge. Check its OAL. Its probably way too long so you adjust the stem in and repeat until you get a length that will both fit in your magazine and chamber in your rifle. Note: if you seat the bullet too far out it will contact the rifling making it hard to close the action and more importantly will cause chamber pressure excursions you probably won't like.

These are the extreme basics so get some books and read up before trying. Reloading isn't difficult and its very rewarding. But it is a serious hobby and requires thought, research and - most of all - attention to detail. Working carefully, methodically and double-checking everything is just plain good sense, not inexperience. So is keeping precise, thorough and detailed records of what you've done with a particular batch/lot of cartridges.

>MW
  7. huntnaz

huntnaz New Member

thanks MW!