270 WSM reloading problem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Maxlamenas, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Maxlamenas

Maxlamenas New Member

I reload for the first time rounds for my browning BLR 270 WSN and i have a probleme the cartrige is very dificult to lock in the chamber to my gun. I resize with a full lenght die but i mesure a market cartrige bore just after the shoulder and the body have over 0.007 inche to big to my reloaded cartrige

What is the problem?????
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Just a little bump on the shoulder is all you need. Use your rifle as a gage, back the size die out from shell holder contact about a quarter turn and size a case. Try to chamber it. It probably won't chamber easily. (if it does back the die out another quarter turn and try again with another case). Assuming it is too tight, turn the die down another 1/16 turn and try chambering again. Keep this up until the case chambers easily and then back the die out 1/32 th of a turn and try it with another case. Continue back and forth, with fresh cases, until you get the fit you want. Lock the die ring to allow you to return to this precise setting easily. Then make measurements and document them. Do this procedure in very small increments so that you don't crush the case.

Good luck and I hope this helps; should be about a 10-15min procedure; no pain involved, I promise ! ;)
  3. Maxlamenas

Maxlamenas New Member

Tanks for advice

Max
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

1. Put the Shell Holder in the press and raise the ram.

2. Screw the Full Length(FL) Die into the press so it is about a "nickle's thickness" above the Shell Holder.

3. Lube a "Fired" case (walls and inside the neck) and squash it.

4. Remove the Lube and try closing the bolt on it in the chamber.

5. If the bolt closes with no resistance, screw the FL Die into the press about 1/8-1/4 turn and repeat steps 3 & 4.

6. As you feel the resistance begin, slow down how much you screw the FL Die into the press so you are at about 1/16 of a turn, or "Fine Tuning". At some point you will not be able to close the bolt and you are extremely close to having the FL Die in the proper position.

NOTE: The reason for this is because the FL Die has begun Resizing the Case-walls down to the Pressure Ring. As it does so, the Case-body lengthens slightly which in turn moves the Case-shoulder slightly forward. Then as the "Fine Tuning" continues the Case-shoulder makes contact with the FL Die and is moved slightly reward(or slightly shortens the Case-head to Case-shoulder dimension).

7. Stop when there is a slight bit of resistance when closing the bolt on the empty case. You now have a "slight crush fit" for the case in that specific chamber, or Zero Headspace.

8. Once you get it where you want it, take some masking tape or a black marker and put a Witness Mark where the FL Die Lock Ring is positioned to hold the FL Die in this position. Loosen the FL Die and return the Lock Ring to align with the Witness Mark and sung up the Set-Screw.

Screw the FL Die back into the press and try squashing another case. It should have the same resistance as the previous one. If not, you need to re-adjust the Lock Ring so it does. But you are extremely close to where you want it, so make very small changes at this point.