.270 WSM

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

ClydeBurrie
    (8/3/02 6:16:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .270 WSM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Howdy All...
    Before asking this question on my own forum thought I'd kick it around here a little...
    Anyone have any experience with the .270 Winchester Short Magnum, if not any other short magnums?
    THANKS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/3/02 11:04:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: .270 WSM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Clyde, I have been thinking about this round since they came up with it.

I really do not have a big bore that I would trust for elk at long range except for my Garand and I would rather have a more conventional hunting rifle for elk.

So I have been thinking about one of the short magnums. Looking at the ballistics of the .270wsm it is a considerable improvement over the old long action 270.

The .300wsm compared to the .300mag is almost the same except for the fact that I love a short action bolt gun and I don't like the long action bolt guns.

I think this family of cartridges is long overdue and am still planning to get one. Right now I can't decide between the .270 or the .300. I will probably go with the .270 because of the recoil and noise.

ClydeBurrie
    (8/3/02 11:24:59 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .270 WSM
    I really am impressed with the performance or ballistics that are being given for this round... Can't argue with a 6" drop at 300 yards... That said I'd still need to hit the range to confirm same
    Have you seen the barrel lengths offered?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/3/02 11:59:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I think I have that just a minute..........

I jav the new Borowning catolog (the one that does not even show a browning Hi-Power )

They are showing a 130 grain having 9.02 drop at 300 yards. with muzzle velocity at 3275fps muzzle energy is 3096ft lbs

They say 225 fps faster then a reg 270 and 401 ft lbs more muzzle energy.

It looks like the only barrel length Browning is offering with the .270wsm is a 23".

ClydeBurrie
    (8/3/02 12:14:01 pm)
    Lets see this is what I have... again looks like a range session is needed...
    With a 200 yard zero using a 130gr bullet shoots 5.5" low at 300 yards... nothing given on the height at 100 yards though hnmnn and the distance where the bullet will not go above/below the sight of line is 319 yards...

Sounds good to me

hotload
    (8/5/02 5:24:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del WSM'S
    Hello Clyde,

I don't know alot about the 270, but I own a 300 WSM. I don't think you'll be unhappy with it, Mine is a mod 70 classic stainless. It is a great shooter, GOOD LUCK !!!

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/5/02 5:30:43 pm)
    Just what are the great advantages of the new .270 WSM? I went to my RCBS Load Program and consulted the Speer Reloading Manual #13 and found the info noted below on other popular cartridges vs. the 270WSM. The bullet listed for the 270 WSM is not the factory bullet as it was not listed in the RCBS program so I used the Nosler 130 BST for both the 270WSM and the std 270 Winchester.

270WSM......................100yds..........200yds..........300yds
    3275fps...................... +1.22"............0.................-5.49"
    270Win
    3100fps...................... +1.44"............0................-6.25"
    25-06Rem 120grSpeer
    3070fps...................... +1.50"............0................-6.50"
    30-06-150grSpeer
    2847fps...................... +1.88"............0................-7.89"

Just what are the advantages of the new .270WSM????
    Cartridge functions thru a short-action receiver
    Disadvantages--!
    Factory Ammo $27.00 per box of 20 as compared to $16.00 for factory 270Win,$16.00 box factory 25-06,$16.00 box of 30-06factory

Other info:
    Factory loaded to pressure CUP for 270WSM--not available
    " " 270Win---52,000 CUP
    " ----------------------25-06Rem-53,000 CUP
    " " ----------------------30-06------50,000 CUP

I regret that I do not see any great advantage in the .270WSM---But I could be wrong.

Regards to all----Ol' John
    PS--the difference in drop at 300 yds between the .270WSM and the 30-06 is 2.40", that is just slightly less than the length of an empty 30-06 case. All data was based on the following perameters:
    72degrees,50% rel. Humidity,sea level,30.00" barometric pressure

Edited by: HondoJohn6508 at: 8/5/02 6:51:39 pm

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/5/02 6:24:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    The price thing really is bad news. But the fact that it is a short action round does it for me. Even if the ballistics were a wee bit worse or the same as the .270 I would take it over the .270 because it is short action.

ClydeBurrie
    (8/5/02 8:11:23 pm)
    I like the short action also + this would be one heckofa deer rifle and I'll take the flatter trajectory even when so minute...
    I'll take th eprice and simply reload as I'm sure brass will be available soon enough if not already...

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/6/02 7:33:07 am)
    For you .270 WSM fans out there, you might want to p/u the latest issue of 'Rifle' magazine. Ross Seyfried has a good article on this cartridge and rifle. Better yet, buy a subscription to this mag and its sister publication"Handloader"
    Ol' jOHN

hotload
    (8/6/02 8:33:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del WSM'S
    There is all kinds of loading componets and loading data readily available for the WSM'S. And I'll have to say that I agree with the others about picking the short action over the long action. I am a 308 fanatic. So this short action magnum struck me as a powerhouse of a 308, rather than a powerhouse of a 30-06. Also keep in mind, I've heard that the big reloaders are favoring the WSM'S over Remington's SAUM'S because the Winchesters have more powder capacities. I'm loading my 300 WSM with 72.5 grn's of reloader 22, with a sierra 165gr. HPBT gameking. GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!!!!

Gordon
    (8/30/02 4:11:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del .270 WSM, hot factory ammo & stuck cases
    Have any of you had stuck cases with factory ammo? What is the life of your brass when handloaded to maximum or near maximum loads?
    Lots of folks are touting the WSMs right now, and you can't complain about the ballistics. My problem is cases stuck in the chamber. First five rounds fired were removed with a cleaning rod.
    I'm sure Winchester has pushed the pressure hard on the factory ammo to meet balistics, but for me at least, at the expense of reliability.
    The gun is on it's way back to the factory where I'm told it will be re-throated. How about freebored like Weatherby, so bullets are well into motion when they hit the rifling.
    I would like to know if other WSM users have had the same problem. If you have had your rifle returned, is accuracy still MOA or better?
    Thank you. Gordon USN/FMF RVN 67-68

hotload
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/30/02 11:17:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del STUCK CASES
    Hi Gordon, and welcome to the forum. I have not had any problems with stuck cases in my 300 WSM. When the rifle was new, I didnt like the way the bolt felt though. It was very tight when closing the bolt on a round. It was right when you were closing the bolt, not when pushing it forward.Almost like you were seating the bullets deeper when closing it. After about 20 rounds it started working like a champ so I guess it just needed breaking in.
    GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!!

Gordon
    (9/16/02 2:00:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del .270 WSM pressures.
    With .270 WSM pressures listed at 63,000 CUP, is anyone getting a piucture of brass life yet?
    As I posted earlier, factory ammo left brass stuck in the chamber. I have also been dissapointed in that I have not found an acceptable hand load to give anything near MOA with my rifle.
    I have four .270 Wins one is a new Model 70 Stainless, other are built on commercial Mausers, and all shoot MOA or less off the bench. That gives much more confidence in the field than the present .270 WSM.
    Now I wait for my rifle to be returned. I would sure like to hear from some more WSM users.

shakyshot
    (12/29/02 3:09:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 270wsm
    hey guys -I just got a 270wsm & am looking for any help you guys can give towards reloading for this thing.I have it in a mod.70 stainless w/24'' barrel.I have a slight problem with the bolt closing tight also,maybe it will free up shortly.thanx

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/29/02 8:53:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 270wsm
    shakyshot, Welcome to TFF

Go to the reloading forum and ask the gunpowder heads

They will be happy to help you out
    Don't blame yourself or anyone else for your mistakes or the downfalls of the USA. BLAME PRESIDENT BUSH.

outdoorsman260
    (12/30/02 1:06:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 270wsm
    Has anyone shot through a chrony to see if these WSM's live up to their factory ballistics?
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

StewRacing
    (1/3/03 3:13:34 am)
    How would the 270 WSM do on Elk and Black Bear? I'm new here, but have a lot of hunting experience in PA.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/3/03 10:34:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Welcome to TFF

I would think they would both be quite deadly on elk and black bear. Shot placement is everything though.
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

outdoorsman260
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/3/03 2:01:47 pm)
    Welcome to the boards, Stew.
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

Mauser45
    (1/6/03 5:49:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Gordon, I don't know where you saw that 63,000 cup figure but I think that it should have said 63,000 PSI which I believe is equivalent to 52,000-53,000 CUP. I sure hope that that figure is wrong! When your rifle comes back, the first thing I would check is the bedding, to be sure that it is good. That is the first thing that I do to a new rifle to help it to do it's best! Good luck with the rifle1

Page 1 2 BennettB
    (2/14/03 10:24:13 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del WSM .300
    I have recently purchased a used WSM .300 (Win. Mod. 70). I have not experienced stuck cartridges, but know the sensation of the tightness when locking the bolt on a cartridge. It's good to know that this will go away after a break-in period (although used, I don't think it had been fired all that much).

Have you experienced any problems with the safety? With the chamber empty. I was testing the various positions of the safety. And when flipping it from safe (or half-safe) to the fire position, the pin released. I tried it again and again. With and without my finger on the trigger. It never happened with my finger off the trigger, but did when my finger was on the trigger. When I say "on the trigger" I don't mean squeezing, but just barely touching it.

Have you experienced any such sensitivety with your safety switch?
  2. the major

the major New Member

270 wsm

All 270s are a might lite for elk and bear. If you use the 130 grain, be sure to use the Nosler Partition. Check your foot lbs of energy at the range you expect to shoot elk, you should have a minimum of 2,000 ftlbs, on target.
    I'd be interested when you guys run these cartidges threw a crony, I've heard the velocitys listed both ways, high and low, what are the true facts??
  3. keppler

keppler New Member

I had the chance to shoot a .270 WSM after a uncle bought one right after they came out. It is a Winchester model 70 Feather Weight and has a compact Leupold mounted on it. The rifle will shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards but has a very healthy kick to it. He hunted antelope and mule deer with it and had no complaints other than the recoil....it will get your attention.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My older son, an accomplished and seasoned shooter and hunter has a .270 WSM Browning A Bolt.

He has no complaint other than the hefty beating his shoulder takes. He was a marine specialized sharpshooter and knows whence he comes. However, he did have to go to some length to modify the stock and replace the recoil pad in order to approach being comfortable with it in the field.

Be that as it may, he loves the calibre and would buy it again!
  5. LASSIE

LASSIE New Member

There is no free lunch if you bought an ultra light rifle then you ask for the heavy recoil. My 270 WSM savage 26" bull barrel is a very accurate rifle.
    And recoil is not bad at all but the recoil on my 300 WSM Savage with a 24" sporter barrel is unbearable. If you can't stand the recoil then get a muzzel break on it. If you bought a 22" barrel then you did the same as buying a car with a V8 and pulling off 2 spark plug wires.
  6. teacherboy

teacherboy New Member

I shoot a Tika T3 Lite in 270wsm. It's a 24" barrel. I put limbsavers pad on it and it's fine. I'd say it's easier then my 308 model seven was. Plus it's way more accurate than my Remington ever was.
  7. jcharb

jcharb New Member

i have a ruger 270 WSM it is one fine rifle...i am grouping about 2 inch @200yards..it would be great for hunting just about anything... i wouldnt give it a second though about using it for elk or even moose though i would use 150 gr. bullet for moose
  8. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

My son has the Winchester in .270 WSSM . He uses the Federal FUZION rounds and has had good results on Whitetails .
  9. peep270wsm

peep270wsm New Member

I got a wild hair and loaded 6.8 SPC Sierra Matchking bullets in my 270 WSM cases with 60 grains of ramshot hunter and Remington LR Magnum primers. Chronies at 3450 fps.

It cut the size of 3-shot groups in half at 200 yards! Shooting from prone, sitting and off-hand hd similar results. Savage 11 with 24-inch barel and Williams Peep sights.

How can I expand the clip to four rounds?
  10. knothole123

knothole123 New Member

I am a new member to the Forum site because I just found it looking for some info on the 270 WSM ballistics and did not have my book handy. Some comments on the 270 WSM. I know this may be late for some of you looking for info some time ago, but I wanted to share my experience with the round. My son first bought a Savage heavy barrell accu-trigger in the 270 WSM (after considerable study and comparisons on ballistics). I have reloaded for years, mostly .30 cailber. I bought the dies for the 270 WSM and loaded the following rounds: 60.0 gr of IMR 4350, Win WLR Mag Primer, and both Hornaday 130 gr Interlock and 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I have also loaded the Remington LR Mag Primer with equal results. Both shot excellent groups in his rifle, and also in a Browning A-Bolt Stainless (NO BOSS) I bought later. I have not used the chrony on these rounds but know they shoot consistently under an inch (even down to 3/8 inch) at 100 yards in both rifles. My son and I both tried some Winchester Supreme Sivertip Ballistic Tips 130 gr. and found they did not shoot as good as my reloads. I shot my Browning at 300 yards last year with both bullets and had 1 1/2 inch difference in the 2 reloads, with approx. 6 inch drop (as listed on ballistic tables). I have been impressed with the round, and feel confident at making a shot over 300 yards when the conditions are right. I was old fashioned and hard to impress, but love the 270 WSM. The recoil does not seem harsh to me, and is certainly nothing like a 7mm Magnum. knothole123
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  11. rbrookins

rbrookins New Member

Hello- I'm new to the forum. I own a .270 WSM Browning A-bolt White Gold Medallion. The recoil is felt especially with 150gr, subsides greatly with 130gr and 140gr bullets. Big recoil pad helps as well. My concern is what loads shoot the best. I have tried federal 150gr nosler partition, 140gr accubond and 130gr barnes triple shock x and 130gr soft points. I also have tried 150gr Winchester CXP2. All I can say is the 150gr bullets shoot consistant between all factory loads mentioned but weird things happened with the 140gr accubond such as groups moving to the right at 100yrds. I have a lot of work to do yet but im beginning to think reloading would be best for me. I like the 140gr nosler partition, CCI #250 primers and 4350 IMR smokeless. Does anyone have any experience with this gun or one similar and reloads? The barrel is stainless and it is 23". Thanks and good to be on here.

all the best, Rich
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  12. TN Sportsman

TN Sportsman New Member

I am new to this forum and this is my first post, so bear with me! I just purchased a Browning X Bolt 270 WSM in SS, 23 inch barrel, and took it to the range yesterday to sight in my scope (Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40). I bought a box of Winchester 150 gr cxp2 for sighting purposes. I must say this gun's recoil surprised me as this is the first WSM I have fired. It is healthy to say the least. Luckily, the Browning has an excellent recoil pad and spared my shoulder so that there are no bruises! I have ordered a set of dies and purchased a box of Nosler BT in 140 grain. From what I have researched on the web, is sounds as though IMR 4350 with a 140 gr bullet is the most accurate for this caliber. Weather permitting and assuming my dies are not delayed, I plan on going back to the range this weekend and test some hand loads. One thing that I noticed with these factory cartridges is that about every other shell seemed to be excessively tight in the chamber and required more force on the bolt to get them extracted. I hope this is only due to Winchester loads maybe being a little toward the max and not a problem with the gun. Has anyone else experienced this?
  13. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Welcome aboard all you new guys, it is great to see so many of you posting. Please keep us informed on your .270WSM. I hope you enjoy TFF as much as I have!
  14. Crockett12

Crockett12 New Member

I've got a Kimber M-84 Montana in 270 WSM. I've done a lot of loading for it and had very poor results. I eventually re-bedded the rifle and have improved the results enough to continue trying to find an accurate load. Previously, I was getting 2 to 3 inch groups and sometimes larger off the bench.

I've tried 130 gr. Hornady SP, 130 gr. Nosler Balistic Tip, 130 gr. Sierra SPBT, 130 gr. Barnes XTP, 130 gr. Barnes TSX and 140 gr. Hornady SPBT. All these with RL-19, RL-22, IMR-4831, IMR-4350, IMR-7828 and H-1000 -- and Winchester WLRM and Federal 250 primers -- new WW cases.

It wasn't until I tried the Seirra 150 gr. SPBT and IMR 4350 that I finally started to get really good groups. I've got the bullet seated to touch the lands with once fired cases -- using 58.5 grains and 59 grains of IMR 4350 and WLRM primers -- and getting 1/2" and smaller groups! Due to the recoil, when I allow it to freely recoil, I get 1 to 1 1/2' groups. When I hold the rifle tightly against my shoulder and down onto the sandbags -- I then get the smaller groups. Using new unfired cases my groups are larger than when I use once fired cases -- full Length resized with Redding dies.

I've tried those two loads at the range twice now and gotten the same small size groups and will consider it a good load if it repeats itself at the next range session.

I really wanted to get accuracy with 130 grain bullets but will settle for the 150 Sierra SPBT's if that kind of accuracy is consistent.

I've got an Oehler M35P chronograph and am getting just a hair over 3000 fps with the 150 gr. and 59 grs. of IMR 4350 -- with the WLRM primers.
  15. TN Sportsman

TN Sportsman New Member

Well, I went back to the range this weekend and had excellent results. The recoil is greatly reduced when using 140 grain nosler BT, 58 grains of IMR 4350 with new winchester brass and WLRM primers. I only shot a couple of groups but that is because that is all I needed to. First shot was about an inch high and an inch right, so I went 4 clicks in each direction with the scope. First group was awesome, all three holes touching each other 1/4 inch left of center of the bullseye. Second group, same results. I was shooting at 100 hundred yards off a bench with no wind and 80 degrees. Guess I was lucky to get the right load the first try. I must say I never thought I would get groups this tight with this gun. It rivals the accuracy of my 22-250, but it will not replace it as my favorite paper puncher. I am now satisfied that when the time comes to pull the trigger in the field, I will not have to worry about the gun's accuracy.
  16. LASSIE

LASSIE New Member

17. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Why do you guys value the short action over the long so much? Is it just for the reduction in flex, helping accuracy or what? As far as I think ,the 20% power gain doesn't off set the difference in cost when compare to the 270 Win. Am I missing something? Not being a wiseass, just would like to understand, as the 270 Win has served me quite well through the years.
  18. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

If you hurry on over to R&R arms they have Remington 130 gn core-lokt at 18.91/box.

Upon further research, what you have here is a necked-down .300 WSM. ballistics look pretty good if you must have a 3500 fps deer round.
  19. aljohn

aljohn New Member

I have a tikka t3 .270 wsm and i have some empties that i was trying to put back in the magazine but they wont fit because of the pressure.
  20. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

You have some major issues then. I have never heard of that happening.