28 Ga. Single Shot H&R w/ 16" Barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Michelangelo, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo New Member

Hey all. I joined this forum to ask this question so this is my first post.

My dad has a 28 gauge, single-shot, H&R shotgun. Back in the '60s some yahoo (my grandfather) replaced the shoulder stock with a pistol grip. He was, however, smart enough to file a Form 1 (Firearms) to get it registered as an NFA firearm to him. Years later it was legally transferred to my father.

Here's my question. What was this shotgun before it was modified?

It has a 16 inch barrel. Some of you might want to call it a Handy Gun, but, from my understanding, those were only made with 8 inch, 12 1/4 inch or 18 inch barrels.

The serial # is 571**

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This really would have been a question for Mr. Goforth but I understand he's no longer with us. I think it's great that you all are following in his footsteps and I thank you for your time.
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF Michelangelo:)
    H&R made ALLOT of single shot guns.
    I have never seen one with the side pin pull( if that is what it is ) that is on your gun.
    So I am not going to be allot of help but I will say I do not think they had 16" barrels for any of there guns(But I could be wrong).
    Does it look like it has been cut down? Look at the muzzle and look for file marks or see if it is cut straight.
    I am sorry for not being much help I am sure there is someone here that can help out.
    Stick around someone will be around that can help better.
    Mike
  3. Michelangelo

Michelangelo New Member

Thanks for the response, goofy. Here's a photo of the muzzle.

4.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's at its original length because the bead looks good and I don't think my grandfather would have cut it down by 2 inches and done such a good job reattaching the bead, but I could be wrong.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

That's a highly modified Model 1905, small frame. The "toggle" head removeable hinge pin was standard on the full size Model 1900 and the small frame 1905. Those models were not offered with barrels that short. I'm pretty sure the barrel was expertly cut down. The rear tang would also have been bent downward to accept the pistol grip. Who ever did the work - did what appears to be an excellent job. The "HANDY GUN" ALWAYS had the fixed hinge pin and three piece take down, with snap off forestock.
  5. Michelangelo

Michelangelo New Member

Jim,

Thank you for your answer. I looked at some pictures of other Model 1905s and I think you're absolutely right. It’s a 1905.

So the barrel was shortened and, I agree, they did a good job. The barrel looks nice and the gun works perfectly. Unfortunately the pistol grip doesn't fit the receiver very well and it's also a different color wood from the forestock.

I've been thinking about getting a gunsmith to make a new pistol grip, but maybe that would be a can of worms. The ATF "suggests" that you file a Form 5 before handing an NFA item over to a gunsmith for repairs. Do most gunsmiths abide by that suggestion?
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Michelangelo,
    Thanks for the follow-up. The HANDY GUNS were made on the small frame Model 1915.
    I don't know anything about the Form 5 requirements - so cannot comment.
    Direct a PM to STONECHIMNEY - he should have or can get an answer for you - those folks have FFL and do repair work. Good luck.
  7. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim your the man;) I learned too. I was not sure of the "toggle"
    Mike
  8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It appears that the toggle lever is a homemade replacement, with a partial legend from whatever part it was made from.