2nd gen Saa questions.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Bennettbrokeit, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Bennettbrokeit

Bennettbrokeit New Member

Ive have a Colt SAA that I took in on trade about 10 yrs ago. Always thought it was late 1800's, and realized by joining and reading your forum that it appears to be a 2nd gen (post war) production from the late 50's. I know my photography isnt what we need for the best assessment, but they are all I have for today. Any info on value or questions would be appreciated.

Link to pics:http://s1079.photobucket.com/albums/w512/Bennettbrokeit/
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That SAA is actually the Third Generation (so-called) made in late 1976 after a production hiatus. Those are fairly common guns and average around $700 in good shape, $1100 or so if NIB with papers.

Serials continued from the Second Generation with the SA suffix, then went from 99999SA to SA00001, then to SA99999 and S00001A. There are some internal differences at various times, but they are all SAA Colts.

Many people bought those post-WWII guns as investments, but brand new ones are selling for around $1200, so the investment idea has never materialized.

Jim
  3. Bennettbrokeit

Thanks Jim.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I relied on the Blue Book for that info. It says that the Second Generation ended at 73205SA in 1975. Production of the "New Model", or Third Generation, began with 80000SA in early 1976.

To some of us old timers, they are all "post-war" guns and of little interest. But in fact, they now have enough age that they have a collector following separate from the old guns, especially since they are among the few guns of the old type still in production, even with those changes I mentioned, like the cylinder bushing changes.

Jim
  5. Bennettbrokeit

Yes, I must have been up to late reading numbers last night...lol...Thanks again.
  6. saa

saa New Member

We all wish that was a pre-war gun! :) We dream of the day we find one at that forgotten estate sale... ahhh. Bliss.
    saa.