3 gun match shotgun needed

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by dbltap, Feb 15, 2010.

1. dbltap

dbltap New Member

What length barrel do you use on a 12ga shotgun for competitions? I'm looking at a pump gun as I already have a Remington 870 Express Magnum to build on and a Knox Recoil Reducing stock to put on it. I'm just needing the right barrel.

Thanks
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

When I was using a Remington (11-87) I had a 20-21" slug barrel on it, with rifle sights. Accurate for slugs, long enough to control shot fairly well, yet short enough for good maneuverability.

I have since changed over to a Saiga. The speed of reloading with a mag, instead of one at a time, is VASTLY different. Of course you may get stuck in "open" class using one of these.
  3. dbltap

dbltap New Member

Will shot work in a slug barrel?
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Sure will.
  5. pmwizard

pmwizard New Member

I use a Mossberg 500 Persuader with an 18 1/2 barrel and it works great.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

What type of competition? For skeet you want a skeet choke or improved cylinder in a 26" barrel. Trap you would want a full choke, 30" or better in length. On sporting clays there are so many different courses out there you almost need to match your gun to the course and that is why so many guys use Briley chokes but I would not install one on any gun I owned. I would much rather buy a third barrel.

Ron