3 inch .45 Sufficient?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by s+w1911, Jan 5, 2010.

1. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

Hello group,

What is your opinion about a 3 inch 1911 vs a 5 inch?

I know about the velocity loss, but is there really an expansion issue?

I have a Kimber ultra cdp 2 and use federal hydro-shok 230 gr. Plus p's

I use the plus p's to add some lost velocity.

Am I very well armed?
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

LOL I wouldnt want you shooting it at me, specially if you know how to do your job................
  3. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

lol me eigther, but I want to know you won't have time to shoot back, I guess that is the ?
  4. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

As for 1911's -
    I own a 5. Have a friend with a 3 1/2. I can honestly tell you that because of the way the gun is designed, the 3 1/2 is more prone to problems. The barrel has to be conical for everything to clear when you rack the slide. Because it's a smaller frame, he can only carry 7 rounds where I can carry 8. The smaller size means more recoil. His gun is more prone to feed problems because the ramp has to be steeper due to the shorter barrel. For a conceal carry, your best bet is to go with the 4 1/2 Commander size. A full-size can be carried for conceal and carry though with the right holster and the right belt - it's an issue I am currently working on fixing. I have a weak belt and a nylon IWB holster and it's tough to carry a full size 1911 with those. I have been told to get a good strong belt and a leather holster for a full size 1911.

and for concealed carry, you should use hollowpoints, not the 230 grain fmj. i have 230 grain fmj, and some semi-wadcutters, but i decided to use hollowpoints when i'm not on the range, cuz i'm afraid if i ever had to use my weapon, it would go through something and possibly into the neighbor's house, or ricochet and hit someone else or just something else that i didn't intend to shoot at. hollowpoints are also proven to have better one-shot stops over fmj. stick to jhp for self defense.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

Hi guys,

I'm not concerned with reliability, mine is flawless with 10k rounds. I'm asking about the velocity loss causing expansion issues.

Thanks,

Dave
  7. rancherodad

rancherodad New Member

In theory your going to shooting within twenty feet check out ballistc by the inch web site I think your going to be fine if you do your part
  8. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I do not believe that there is enough loss in velocity to worry about proper expansion from a shorter barrel. Most self defense shooting is going to be at close range and I do not think it is something to be concerned over. I reload for 5 different 45 semi autos that I own. One is a short barrel Para Ordinance. I have a Colt series 70, A spring field style 1911, A Glock sub compact, and a Sig Sauer. I just happen to like 45's.
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I carry a colt defender 3". I doubt seriously that anybody you shoot at 20 ft or less is gonna know there was any velosity difference. If you plan on shooting people from a distance then maybe. You are well protected.
  11. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

I do know that a couple of manufacturers (speer for one) do make HP ammo specifically for short barrel pistols. I beleive the diff is the burn rate of powder, and the 'openess' of the hollow point.

That being said, I don't think that any round from any length of .45 is unproductive, but the SB ammo appears to be designed for max effectivness for just that application.
  12. Ed K

Ed K New Member

I carry 3 inch CDP Kimber loaded with CarBon 185 gr load supposedly designed for short bbl gun no expansion or velocity issues no function issue or I wouldn't bet my life on combination of gun and cartridge
  13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

:) no doubt anyone shot with a short barreled 45 would notice the difference even if the speed of the bullet isn't enough to open the hollowpoint on impact the hole will be plenty big enough to get someones attention but i do believe you're right there are loads that are designed to work better from shorter barrel lenghts
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

are you shooting it in like competitions and stuff? for a conceal carry weapon, i don't think it matters because at the range you will need to use it, how accurate do you really have to be? i'd think a longer barrel would have higher accuracy though.
  15. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I shoot and carry 200 grain hp in my 3 1/2" bbl 1911. I carry 230 grain HP in my commander and full sized 1911.

I would not be concerned with the 3" bbl length as long as the gun worked as it is supposed to.
  16. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the info and opinions. Hopefully we will never have to use them.
  17. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

what brand of bullets do you buy? i thought hollowpoints were usually 185 grain. fmj tend to be 230. at least around here from what i see on the shelves.
  18. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

you can get a 230 gr hollow point lots of different makers produce that size. federal and corbon comes to mind.
  19. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

Yes I use Federal 230 grain hydro-shok +p jhp's

230 grain is (I believe) the absolute most common grain for .45acp

As stated above, almost any manufacturer makes 230 grain jhp.
  20. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

The reason you may only see 185's is that the 230's are bought up! :)

Locally, I have seen 230 JHP's in:

Winchester
    Corbon
    Remington GS
    Speer GD
    Federal HS