3 inch .45 Sufficient?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by s+w1911, Jan 5, 2010.

1. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

I shoot 230 gr truncated cone (lead flat point) in both my Star PD and full size Milspec. The velocitiy is a little slower with the PD but of not much significance to the guy on the receiving end. I don't worry about whether there is enough velocity to open up a lollow point. Deer are killed regularly with a 44 spl 250 gr SWC bullet at 900 fps. With solid projectiles it is meplat size and striking velocity along with penetration that determines whether you eat venison or peanut butter. The lead flat nosed 230 gr 45 ACP meplat is very similar to the 44 special SWC meplat used for hunting. I know that SD and handgun hunting are different puruits. But if a deer can be taken at 25-75yds with one or two shots, don't you think a human can be stopped with a mag full of 45 fmjFP at point blank range to 7 yds?
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I load my own ammo. I use Hornady XTP HP bullets in both my 200 and 230 grain cartridges.
  3. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

I realize a mag full of .45 anything is going to work, but I hope each shot does the job, because even the best trained mis on occasion.

As someone extremely well trained, I can tell you when the time comes, your performance WILL be far less than you think.

Tunnel vision, adrenaline and fear will cut your marksmanship atleast in half.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Dave, in my honest opinion, you have made a good choice. With proper break in, good mags ( Wilson Combat ) and recommended recoil spring changes,the weapon will be completely reliable. I wouldn't worry about ballistics from the 3" barrel. Most deadly encounters, as you well know,are at close ranges.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

They are starting out at .451 so whether they expand or not isn't a big deal. The 45 acp has been doing the job for 100 years mostly all with ball ammo.
  6. techoca

techoca New Member

I would be completely comfortable carrying a 3" 1911 for personal defense.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Put semi-wadcutters in it. Out of all the ammo I have ever shot, these semi-wadcutters I bought at a gun show were the most accurate ever. I wonder what the impact would be like if you shot something with SWC's compared to FMJ or JHP. The ones I have are unjacketed SWC. They dirty up your gun in a hurry but they are dead on in accuracy.