3-jaw chuck for trimming brass ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by thomas44, Dec 18, 2011.

1. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I am currently using the Lee Case Trimmer and Lock Stud setup to trim my rifle brass....

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud

The problem is, when I chuck in a piece of brass, no matter how tight, it either moves or isn't centered exactly right. I don't trim my brass by hand either. I chuck the lock stud and shell holder into a drill. My question is, is there a three jaw chuck I can use that's better at holding the brass centered firmly and might be quicker to chuck the brass with ? Any good solution to this frustrating problem would be appreciated. And btw, I have tried roughing up the surface of the lock stud to prevent the brass from moving so much, but to no avail.
  2. badeyes

badeyes New Member

I also had problems with mine until I played around with it a lot. It sounds like you are not grabbing enough of the rim. Unscrew the thumbwheel until the brass seats far enough in for the 3 jaws to grab the rim. Tighten the jaws firmly and have at it. Good luck.