1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

30-06 Barrel Length

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Benjamima, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Benjamima

Benjamima New Member

So Im putting together a Remington 721 in 30-06. Just ordered a nice thumbhole stock from Boyds, some duracoat paint to go over the decaying bluing job, and have been researching trigger jobs.

One thing Im contemplating is trimming the barrel down a few inches.

Currently, it is about 23-24". I was thinking of taking it down to the 18-20" range to make it more handy on horseback/in the cab of a truck/in the brush/etc. I don't really forsee myself having to make a shot much past 300-500 yards. Am I going to lose a major amount of power or accuracy at that range?

I see these expensive TacOps rifles, which are essentially a super accurized Remington 700 in .308. Most of the rifles they build are 18-20", and there are guys shooting sub 4" groups with them at 700 yards. :eek:

So it got me thinking, 3-5" off the overall length of the weapon could prove useful. And if it doesn't severely effect performance, then why the heck not do it?
  2. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

I don't know about the .30-06 but on those tactical shortened barrels, they did a study and found that the .308 was only loosing 50fps at 20".
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A .30-'06 with a 20" barrel is going to have a lot of blast and noise. I know most folks will say that outdoors, and in the excitement of a hunt it won't matter, but I will tell you it might matter down the road.

QUIT MUMBLING AND SPEAK UP DAMMIT, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Jim
  4. Benjamima

Benjamima New Member

Yeah..I don't think I want to mess with trimming it down. A lot of work for a negligible gain in handling, and added concussion.

Ordered this stock:
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ROSS-FT-REMINGTON-700-BDL-p/600-710-ft-a.htm

And some Brownells Aluma-Hyde Parkerizing Gray. Oughta look pretty slick. :D

I think I might do my shotgun in desert tan with krylon non-skid black on the stock. :cool:

I hear the Aluma-Hyde is great stuff given you do your prep work. I'll post some before/after pics of the whole debacle. :)
  5. swiftman

swiftman Member

The blast from a 20 inch barrel is not going to destroy your hearing any faster than a 23-24 inch barrel. The longer barrel is already past the decibles levels that do that. My left ear can testify to that.