30-06 Cast Bullet Load with IMR 3031

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by trapnbow, Aug 16, 2012.

1. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Gentlemen,
    I am soliciting reloading data for my sportorized 03A3 using a 173 grain cast lead, round nose bullet with gas check, Lyman 311291, using IMR 3031. My old Lyman book suggests 28 to 38 grains. I started midway with 33 grains. The resulting group is about 3 inches at 100 yards. Does anyone have any advise on either increasing or decreasing the load to obtain better results? Certainly someone out there has done this before. LOL
    Thanks,
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

damn, I think if I remember correctly, I used that bullet quite a bit when I was younger, often with the same powder. I do not remember how many grains but that should be a more accurate load I would think.

I actually achieved sub-MOA groups with that bullet in one of my O3A3's, iron sights no less at 100 yards. 2 groove barrel also!

Play around with different charges and if no workie, start looking at different powders. I would try the 3031 with 30, 31 and 32 gns to see if that changed anything, maybe even a 34 and 35 gn. As long as the bore is in good shape, you should be getting better groups I would think.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, just looked up that mold and that is the main one I used in the O3A3's. Have one in original form and one sporterized, both shoot very well. I used almost all cast bullets in the original one, that thing handles them quite well.
  4. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

aa1911,
    Thanks for the very prompt reply. I only had the rifle out once with the reloads and it might be shooting better than I think. It shoots to 1.5 inches with ball ammunition.
    I have a large quantity of 3031 and figure that this is a good place to use the old, difficult to meter powder. I'm hopping that someone can save me the experiment time.
    Thanks,
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, sorry it's been a while since I reloaded for the O3A3's, they're at my dad's place now.

you could try the ladder test, there's a good thread on here if you haven't seen it yet, will save you lots of ammo to find a good load. I don't think you're far off though with the powder charge.
  6. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Aa1911,
    Thanks again. I will search for that Ladder Test post. Any information that would save effort and time is appreciated.
    I have not shot much rifle lead. I do know that too light or too heavy a load can have the bullet cartwheeling down the range.
    Thanks,
  7. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

You might think about paper patching. Done right you can get jacketed velocity and accuracy with lead. There's a wealth of information out there.
  8. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Hi,
    Paper patching is new to me. Not sure if I should get into that but will read about it. I try to learn something new every day. LOL
    Thanks,