30-06 DIE RECOMMENDATIONS?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mgatc, Dec 30, 2010.

1. mgatc

mgatc New Member

Happy New Year!

Using RCBS dies to load .308 shells and Lee carbides for the .40cal.

I though about trying a different brand with the '06 to narrow down what I might like the best.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I had a bad experience with the Lee collet neck die. (Blew out the threads on the top cap - sent back to Lee for replacement)

I would like to neck size as much as possible (same rifle, of course).

Should I use the full size dies and back them out to neck only or should I buy a die specifically for neck sizing?

Thanks,
    Mel
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

If you want to neck size there is no reason not to stick with the Lee Collet die. If you blew it apart then it was not set up properly or your put way to much pressure on the handle. They are great dies for the money and work extremely well.

I do not recommend neck sizing with an FL die, especially with beginners. Neck size with a neck die and FL size with an FL die at least for now.

If you neck size, at some point you will need to FL size your brass as well. It's just the way it is. Get a three die set, neck, FL and seat.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have and use Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Lee dies. It all boils down to personal preference, I too had a problem with a 308 Lee collet neck sizing die galling and crushing brass, (please dont attack for posting legitimate problem with Lee equipment)

My opinion only - Redding dies are Really top notch, but they are all, for the most part, excellent quality.

Backing out a FL die for neck sizing works, how well verses a seperate neck sizer die? Well I have never quantified that at the range, then again sub-moa groups never concearned me in a hunting cartrige. If by chance you are shooting a semi-auto then forget neck sizing, you need to FL sizie for reliable feeding.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There are some reloading experts out there that recommend using a full length die to perform neck sizing with. They claim it keeps the neck straighter.