30-06 for elk?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by duckman36, Mar 4, 2013.

1. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Use your 30-06 - that's fine. Since this is your first elk, don't get over excited, you obviously want to be as close as possible. 300 yards is a long way and way too far - over a quarter of a mile. 100 yards is much better. You don't want to simply wound the elk and have to chase it down. You want to make sure you get it. Just find the elk, stay down wind and get in as close as possible then take your shot. Be quiet, they hear very well. Elk weigh a LOT so have a plan for getting it out of where you shoot it. Don't waste any of it either. Plan on saving the hide and tanning it also. Elk hide makes wonderful leather. Moose in Finland weigh over 600 lbs. quite often. We took them down and brought them out. Think about it - you are taking down an animal the weight of my horse or more. About the same size as my horse also. You and your brothers and your Dad are not going to simply pick this animal up, sling it over your shoulder and carry it to your pickup from where you find it. You will need hatchets, rope, twine. You will need to cut small saplings and build a sling sledge after field dressing the elk to cut down weight then manually drag it out on your sledge. I recommend you have a low trailer and a winch when you get to your vehicle. Even 4 guys manhandling an elk is not an easy job and can be very well impossible without cutting up the animal into much small pieces in the field.

In Finland we went hunting for moose in groups of 8.
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

440 yards is 1/4 mile. I always think of a track around a football field. Both sides are 100+ and the curves are close to that. 4 laps to a mile.

Good advise though. Most people dont think about packing them out. A game cart would be handy and possibly block and tackle if it is steep.
  3. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Thank you for pointing out my error. I still think in kilometers (clicks) - was away from my country far too long .. 23 years. I was having a mental block and took 600 yards off the mile. People don't think about packing them out. They think about the score of 'getting' it. There is no point in killing it if you aren't going to bring it out and eat it. 100 meters is a good distance - easy enough to get to and choose the terrain. I never even shoot a deer here at much over 100 meters. When I shoot deer it is me and my wife or me and a friend. Only the two of us to bring it out and after field dressing still may weigh 150 lbs. or more.
  4. duckman36

duckman36 New Member

WHSmithIV thanks for the info. Where is Moore at in relation to Salmon? The reason I ask is that I will be hunting out of Salmon and was curious about the elk population in that area? Also I thought about bringing a Ruger gp-100 6inch for backup. Any suggestions about bullets for 357? One last thing, should we have to worry about wolves after killing an elk or wolves in general?
  5. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

The area around Salmon is a beautiful area and in some places very flat. Problem to that is the flat area is at somewhere close to a 45 to 60 degree angle to the sun.:eek: :eek:hmygosh: Definitely get in shape. There shouldn't be a problem with Wolves. Check with the local fish and game officer to get more accurate information. The fish and game people here in Idaho have always been very helpful to almost everyone I have spoke with. Should you not have it, the number for the Salmon office is 208-756-2271. I have shot several Elk with a 270 using 150 grain grand Slam bullets. I personally would hesitate on a 300 yard shot with even a 30-06 using a 165 or 180 grain bullet. Having said that a lung shot will kill one at that distance. He may also live say 15 to 30 seconds before he collapses. Now that does not sound like a long time. Watch just how fast a dog can cover a lot of ground in 15 to 30 seconds. That wounded Elk can travel that far and even more. Down hill is almost always a wounded animal travels. Now I did not say none travel uphill but in my experience mostly they travel down hill. Is that going to be in a huge canyon? A 200 yard shoulder shot with the 165 grain will at a minimum break the shoulder and maybe even the off shoulder. Normally that will anchor the animal. The Gp100 is fine even if you have a problem with a Wolf. Would even work for a final shot a close range to finish off your Elk. Either way good luck and have a safe and great hunt.:D
  6. duckman36

duckman36 New Member

Any suggestions on bullets for the 357? I'll be carrying it for backup and maybe a finishing shot on an elk? Also I haven't decided on barrel length, so any help would be appreciated.
  7. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Duck man you are getting some damn good advise here. The guys who talked about packing out their elk are right on the money. The last thing you want to do is set in the bottom of a canyon with a 700lb Elk and be unprepaired. That alone can destroy your hunt. My family has been hunting elk out west here for 50-60 years and 80 percent where taken with the 3006 with a 165 grain bullet.Personaly I like the Win,300 mag.I think we have all our sucess because we shoot alot. Up hill down hill across canyons with or with out wind we try to cover every angle and postion.For me its all about knowing your rifle and ammo inside out. Your hunt any hunt is only goning to be as good as you want it to be. I think you well have a great time on your first hunt. I could go on for ever so I well shut up for now. Best of luck to you and family and have fun.
  8. whip

whip New Member

30 06 is an excellent elk round.

Plan on quick quartering your elk bring cotton meat bags and back pack frame. Use para cord to tie quarters to the frame. I often totally bone out the elk in the field to lighten the load. Plan on four trips or so if your by yourself and you won't have any trouble.

Here is a quick lesson on how to quick quarter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtCMjlcedI&feature=player_embedded

Remember to read all the regulations for where you are hunting every state has slightly different regulations on what parts of the elk must be retreived and if evidence of sex must remain attached.
  9. catfish83861

+1 on Whips information. The head will most likely be a trip all in its self. Boning out the hams and especially the rib cage in my opinion really helps. Here in Idaho we have not had much of a winter and the Elk hunts this year may really be great but the Wolves are definitely making their presence known. Like I said earlier though. I would not think you will have a problem with Wolves. Now if you leave the kill site and come back the next day you might find about anything around "YOUR MEAT". I would suggest if you have the room several lengths of parachute cord. Handy for hanging meat bags in a tree if you have one available. Good luck and welcome to Idaho.
  10. V509

V509 Member

Last year I went on my first Elk hunt.
    I went to Colorado and carried a Remington 700ti and fired one Nosler 165gr bullet at 280 yards for a one shot kill
    The same 165gr Nosler load is what I will use next fall as well
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

as said, the '06 has taken plenty of elk, it's plenty.

It's not on the overkill side of power though, watch your distance and don't stop shooting until they stop moving.

My recommendation for bullets would be 180gn in either Nosler Accubond (white tip) or Barnes TS-X copper solids. Doesn't get much better than those. I skunked out this year but my buddy took two over the last couple years with one shot from a Barnes TS-X. Great performance at a wide variety of velocities/distances.
  12. catfish83861

Just thought I would post a couple pictures to show what you can do with the correct bullet and a good rifle. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Yes I do love to hunt!:D

Attached Files:

13. langenc

langenc Member

Here in MICHIGAN we have limited elk hunting. Our conservation club has a coffee/donut tablet at the check in site, required.

It is neat to see the elk come in, all kinds of vehicles/trailers. The ones I always wonder about are the elk in a pickup with a topper. For those in Finland, that is somekind of a cover with 'door' above the tailgate. You probably have em.

I always wonder how they got that elk into that truck with the topper on it. Im going to have to ask next time I see one.

The DNR weighs all elk killed, except those in trucks under toppers. I guess they dont know how to get em out and then back in. I bet some shooters remove the topper and then muscles the elk in, followed by replacing the topper. How else?? you cant push em and sure cant get 3 pullers in that truck??
  14. V509

V509 Member

A lot of debate here 165 to 180 gr...... If your gun shoots the 165 better go for it, 15 grains is so little difference. Drop charts for both show minute difference in bullet drop
  15. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I'm with aa1911: those are great choices and you really can't go wrong with a 30-06. For the Barnes I've been shooting the 168 gr. TTSX and am convinced that is THE bullet in the .30 caliber.