30.06 Neck Sizing Info

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 76Highboy, May 24, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am reloading my 30.06 and getting ready for hunting this fall. I have many Remington cases, and all of them have been fired once through my rifle. Seeing how they are formed to my .06 only, I do not want to full length size, I just want to neck size and have never done that.

Can someone walk me through step-by-step on how to set the size die up for this. I think I am close but want to be nit-picking sure.:thumbsup:

Thanks,
    Jim
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You might want to pick up a die that JUST does a neck size. Lee makes a collet neck sizer die that works very good. The one I have for my 30.06 is the Lee, I have RCBS for my .223 and Redding for my 5.7X28. Hornady makes one that fits many different size of 30 caliber brass. A plus for neck sizing is that you don't need to lube!

I don't know if you can even set up a FL die for neck only???
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. 76Highboy

I used to have one but I no longer have it. I am trying to set my Hornady dies up to neck size.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Easy Jim. Take a candle and 'smoke' the neck and shoulder of one of your cases black. Then start with the FL die backed out of the press and size the case chasing the die down a little each time until you have contact with the shoulder, then back it off 1/4 turn and youre good, set the lock ring.
  5. 76Highboy

10-4 JLA. Thanks kind sir and I hope your day is treating you well.:)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Lube the case of course.. Or it will get stuck. Even thought youre just neck sizing it can still get stuck because youre using the FL die and it sizes the neck by swaging it down way undersize then pulling the expander ball back thru the neck on the upstroke.

A collet necksizer simply mashes the fired neck against a slightly undersized mandrel, so no lube req'd
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally favor the collet die, but for my Garand I necksize witht he FL die because it does sorta give you a partial resize on the body, which is a bonus for an autoloader.
  8. 76Highboy

That worked and yes, always lube or else the dreaded stuck case. Thanks buddy.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep.. :thumbsup:
  10. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I'm not a fan of Partial neck sizing with an FL die, but if you must do it, double check your brass before loading it.

When setting up and FL die to neck size only make sure your die does not make contact with the case body. Any contact with the case body can "size" it. Sizing the body does two things, it reduces it's diameter and it can lengthen the head to shoulder dimension.

Before you load your newly Partial neck sized brass, run them though the chamber to make sure they still fit. If they got longer, you will know.
  11. dhom

dhom New Member

I just used to tighten the die down on a dime. I have a feeling that will be as good as adjusting a full lenght sizing die.