30-06 or 243 deer?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by remington1990, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

A hunter owns two rifles. He does not know which one to use to harvest a deer. He ask others who has never seen him or his rifles which one he should choose? What if the Hunter finds 2 deer standing in the forest? Who will tell him which one to shoot? :confused:
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That would be a different, personal choice. Very unconnected to your question.
  3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And your 2 part question. God tells him his choice...
  4. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

A post of this nature is to cause some one to think. It seems to have worked in your case.:)
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Anyone whos ever shot a deer knows that almost everything in overkill for deer. The .243 in my mind is as close to ideal as you can get because it shoots flat, has a goodly amount of energy transfer and the bullets are just light enough to stop inside the deer most of the time. Anything bigger and more powerful is going to pass clean thru and keep going.

Among the perfect deer rounds/rifles IMO are .357 mag levergun, .44 mag levergun, .45 colt levergun. .223 rifle with barnes TSX bullets 53 gr or heavier, .22-250 with same barnes bullets, .243 with bullet heavier than 80 gr., 6mm rem with same 80 gr or heavier, 7.62X39 with any SP bullet, .30-30 with any SP bullet.

If you shoot anything more powerful than these cartridges listed, bullet choice is not as important as shot placement as most any bullet from the more powerful rounds will pass right thru a deer.
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I know a 3006 will pass right thru a hog! last one i shot blew out ribs and wasted a shoulder.. darn thing turned right as I pulled the trigger last hunt.
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

30 06 because for more power and bigger chunk of lead. 243 will do the job as well. Why not a .308? I thought 30 06 ammo was more expensive than 308
  8. soundguy

308's a great choice. it's a much overlooked round huntering here in fl.

at our local walmart.. most of the 243-3006 stuff is all 19$ a box anyway.. including 22-250
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

By more meat in the freezer, I was just more-so suggesting that the .243 with, say, 100gr. SP will do less damage with a well placed shot, versa the .06 with a heavier load and differnt style bullet.
    I've seen feller's with .30-06 calibers go "wackco" on what they are trying to take down (after falling short of a well-placed shot) and do alot of damage to the body of an animal.
    The right set-up, bullet and powder grains and shot placement can do as well, but the .243 cal. has alot less recoil and can over-all, help with proper shot placement.
  10. soundguy

ahh.. my misunderstanding.. yes.. I agree in that sense.. a 243 while taking the game may do less meat damage than a 3006 taking the same game ( both equaly capable to TAKE sm-med game.. just one doing so with more finesse ).

I actually experienced that I think. i took a hog recently and .. well.. he turned and I blew his side out. wasted a shoulder and ribs on that side.

can't say a 243 wouldn't have done that either.. but it was what it was. he turned rigth as I was fireing and it made a bad angle shot.

he didn't run any though.. I'd rather they drop than track a blood trail thru the woods.. :)
  11. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

It depends where you hunt. A hunter in the Rocky Mtn. west shooting across wind swept slopes at 9,000" would not choose a .243 WCF. The 7MM Remington and .300 Mags are a better choice for the big heavy Mtn. moss horns. The 7MM was developed for hunting in Northern Wyoming in the 1960s. There was a reason and it has not changed.;)
  12. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

30.06 is my choice..
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Which one do you shoot best? Which one would you rather carry for a couple of hours in heavy brush going up and down hills and crawling over large rocks. Deer will not care, won't notice the difference, dead is dead.
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the 243 myself. I also have heard some good things about the 7mm-08
  15. tango1niner

tango1niner New Member

I like the '06 but a .243 with 100 gr. Nosler partitions works very, very well.
  16. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I'm biased towards the good ole '06

and like an old timer told me a few years ago, "3 quarters is better than no quarters!"

The difference in damage I'd say is pretty small between those two with the same type of bullet. Velocity has quite a bit to do with damage in either of those calibers. Shot placement is what makes all the difference. A head shot with either one will take about anything on this continent and won't spoil any meat. (unless you eat brains, I do not :D)
  17. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with that and my thoughts exactly!
    We havent got a rifle season here for deer, but with all other hunting....
    NOTHING like a good head shot. :thumbsup: