30-06 recipe?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Sep 17, 2009.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

hodgdon lists with h380 ,150gr hornady bullets start loads 53gr. & 59.0 max.I started with 53.0gr and seemed to get good results.no signs of pressure problems,and the shots all grouped 1.5".i don't have access to a chronograph so i don't know about velocity.funny they hit .5" left of center just like rem.&winchester factory loads did.Question, should i leave it & load my 60 rounds,or keep adding powder to further test? I'm tempted to load'em all up as is. any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

1 1/2 inches is pretty good. 'Course, 1 1/2 inches at 25 yards ain't as good as 1 1/2 inches at 200 yards. :p I probably wouldn't mess with it. But then, I ain't one of them guys that has to wring the last 1/16" of accuracy out of a load. If the load is accurate enough to kill whatever it is I am shooting, at the range I am shooting it at, that's good enough for me.
  3. kingchip

kingchip New Member

I'm no reloader, yet, but as an avid hunter, if I can hit a coke can at 100 yds. I'm goin to the blind. I NEVER shoot a deer at more than about 50 yds out. I need 100% identification of the buck before I raise the rifle.
  4. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

these will only be hunting rounds,i'm not trying to hit a quarter at 100-200yds.It just seemed odd that the on the first try after finding different primers,with the first loading at the starting,lowest charge,it did that good.thanks Alpo. &kingchip
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

I don't know what kind of rifle you're shooting these out of, but for an M1 at least, I have found that lower loads work generally better than higher loads. For the M1, as mentioned in another post here today, it is designed to work within a fairly narrow pressure curve, with the pressure at the gas port neither too high nor too low. Too high a pressure will cause the op rod to bend or even break fairly quickly, and too low a pressure won't properly cycle the bolt.

I have found that a load for 30-06 using IMR 4895 of about 50 grains equals the military load and functions my rifle very well. Lots of modern hunting ammo is designed for bolt rifles and creates a higher pressure and are distinctly NOT recommended for the M1. If you're shooting out of a bolt rifle, of course, you can go higher.

Federal has recently started making a load specifically designed for the M1 and I've heard it works quite well, duplicating the M2 ball load. I haven't tried it since I handload or shoot CMP ammo which is quite inexpensive (relatively).

Good luck and welcome to reloading.
  6. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

Either buy a chrony or....

147-152gr bullets <---Milsurp M-80 147s make good practice, we hit the 300 ayrd gong with them all day long. The good stuff isnt available any more. If you use boat tails, drop the powder 1-2 grains. I use 48 with both, and get about 40-60 more FPS out of the BTs.

48gr IMR-4895
    LC or other milsurp cases
    CCI # 34 primers <--- A must!

This is as close as you can get to M2 ball ammo.

You wont see pressure problems. Your rifle will start short chambering

Because you op rod will be bent.

First time you bend one, you will buy a chrony like I did.
  7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    If you are happy with that group then go for it. I would use it all day for hunting. I have been working up some loads for my.30-06 and I want to see just how good I can get them so I am upping the powder .5 grain at a time. Once I get the best groups then I'll stop. The best part about loading yourself is that you can get something that you are happy with.