30-06 reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mobius1080, Jul 8, 2012.

1. mobius1080

mobius1080 New Member

So I have gotten my grandfathers 30-06's, we have been shooting together for a long time and now that he has passed I am still going through all the stuff I inherited. My question is that I never really looked at his reloads over the years as we used them and now that I am looking at the 250 rounds of 30-06 I now have there are a few that are slightly "longer" than the other, the casings are the same and perhaps its the others that are shorter I am not sure. I have never reloaded so I don't know if its normal, should I not use these or something. Any help would be great thanks. I have put a picture in so you can see the difference I am talking about.

[​IMG]
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

should be inside this

[​IMG]
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

He most likely loaded them long to get the bullet closer to the rifling to enhance accuracy.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I see you said "30/06s", so I'm guessing "more than one"?

Hawg may have called it right. Or the reverse might be it - some were loaded short so they fit in the magazine of a specific gun. Maybe even the chamber, for one or more guns. I've got two guns in the same caliber, but one chamber is slightly shorter than the other. I can load for one with rounds set to max recommended OAL, but if I load them in the other gun, the nose if the bullet actually gets forced into the rifling. Chamber is, maybe, .010 shorter in that gun.

Or, could be something real simple. They are different bullet weights. An ought six loaded with a 180 grain bullet will have more bullet exposed than one loaded with a 150 grain bullet.
  5. mobius1080

mobius1080 New Member

so then they are still safe to fire? I will be using the gun he had in 30-06 and he has been firing it for a long time with the reloads.

Thank you all for the quick replies
  6. medalguy

medalguy Member

If you can discover that answer you need to be in the stock market. No way to tell for sure. To be absolutely safe, I'd suggest pulling the bullets, weigh and separate the bullets, check the case sizing and resize if necessary, recharge the cases with new, known powder, and reseat the bullets. Refer to a good reloading manual for the charges for each bullet and brass and overall lengths.