1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

30-06 vs. 7mm Rem Mag felt recoil

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by b79holmes, Nov 2, 2012.

1. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy I agree with zane 714.If your having a problem with recoil you might want to check out Sims vibration recoil pads. Personaly I use the slip on type and the grind to fit work well.Sims claim that they can reduce recoil by 75percent. I dont know how they come up with that number I just know they work. Over the last 10 years I have had neck surgery 6 times front and back. when I started using the sims pad in 2005 I was able to shot my 3006 agian. with no pain. Last August I put the newest recoil pad they make on my 300WM. Its great on my first trip to the range I shot 10 rounds no problem. Well thats my 2cents worth. Have fun!!!
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

since it came up about belted mags throwing the shoulder forward? anyone relaoding the belted mags do neck sizing only?
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

soundguy:

I don't neck size only but move the sizing die up in the press to the point where the shoulder is not moved after firing. This, in effect, moves the head spacing point from the belt to the shoulder and minimizes the stretching of the body at the belt. That stretching causes head separations minimizing the number of reloads you can get out of these belted cases. The case failures then end up being a burning through of the case in the neck area but only after several more reloads.

I have only the one belted magnum cartridge gun. I would never buy another belted magnum. There are better choice with bigger case volume than 30-06 based cartridges, especial in some of the African cartridges. But I have given up on those bigger cartridges as the guns are a lot more expensive as is the cost of reloading. Besides my vintage 45-70 and 348 Winchester lever guns, I have a Remington pump in 35 Whelen which is big enough for me for a hunting style gun. The 35 Whelen is a real thumper to shoot.

Now, if I want big then I drag out the 50 BMG based 50 DTC single shot conversion on my AR lower. That is a real thumper and very loud.

LDBennett
  4. whirley

whirley Member

Many things affect apparent recoil. A light rifle with a small buttplate will have more apparent recoil than a heavier rifle with a wide buttplate. I have a Ruger 25/06 that is very accurate, but also very uncomfortable to shoot. I also have a .375 H&H that weighs almost 10 pounds that is more comfortable to shoot that any 30/06 I own. I've learned that stock shape and fit are very important in reducing apparent recoil.
  5. soundguy

ok, so you are using a regular Fl sizing die?.. just backed out a bit so as not to push the shoulder?.

I have a few belted mags.. but don't shoot them as much.. same with some non belted but big thumper guns as you put it..... shoulder don't take it. few shots are fine.. but no more 'all day at the range' like when i was younger.

I think i like my 375H&H better than 416 rigby, 458 wm/lott and the 300 weatherby and 7mm rem mag are ok.. but the 300 is a bit stiff still for everyday shooting.

I havn't started reloading my 7mm rem mag yet.. but do have the dies ( ended up with 2 sets due to a box buy at a yard sale.. ).. and have been saving my brass.. will file this note away in my die box about watching out for pushing the shoulder..e tc.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

soundguy:

Do make sure that when you size the belted cases that they still fit the chamber.

It turns out that when the body of the case is sized (even when it is only partially sized as I suggest) the case reforms, gets longer and moves the shoulder around. So finding that critical point where the shoulder remains where it was when it came out of the chamber is a trial and error thing.... a little sizing at a time with testing in the chamber of the gun. An alternate approach is to get the RCBS Precision Mic for 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge and use it as comparison measuring device with fired cases before sizing:

RCBS Precision Mic 7mm Remington Magnum

I have these gages for all the cartridges that I use this approach on.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  7. soundguy

well.. I'm way familiar with trial and error :)

when getting used to new dies and working up new cartridges i always make a few uncharged dummies to check out COAL and seating depths and crimps and whatnot.. those dummies I use to test chambering.. make sure bolt is not hard.. etc..

that's how I setup my case trimmer too.

I have a box of trimmed cases, one for each caliber I load.. and keep them as a reference and use them as a quick gauge for setting up the trimer when switching between calibers.