30-30 at 300 Yards - Range Report

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, May 15, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Warning! To avoid accidental discharge, do not load centerfire cartridges with rounded or pointy hard nosed bullets in tubular magazines! Warning!

I am still testing the FMJ in the Winchester to see where they hit and today I had some pretty stiff wind so this was a good time to test the wind drift also.

The wind was coming from 10:00 at 10mph with 17mph gusts, I waited until the wind was strongest before I shot; the bullet drifted an estimated 14 inches.

I had the sight elevation setting on the 3rd notch and the bullet hit about right at the top of the sight blade.

I am really liking these bullets! :D

30-30 With 110gr FMJ

Next test will be at 400 yards, it would be wonderful if it hit at the top of my sight blade while the sights are set on the 4th notch.

Rifle: Winchester M 94, 30-30
    Bullet: Hornady 110gr FMJ-RN
    COL: 2.5
    Powder: IMR 4064
    Primer: CCI 200 LR
    Case: Remington
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's a heck of a thing trying to shoot in those kind of winds @ 300yrds, and a heck of a shot! I personally never have shot the FMJ 30-30 rounds.
    And also always wondered about accidental discharge every time I load my 30-30 even with semi-pointed bullets...never had it happen, but every time I load 7rnds into mine, it's always on my mind, thinking that could just happen and what a heck of a note that'd be!
  3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I reloaded those so they are of my own design, (if you will.) The bullets were so cheap being $2 off I just had to try them in the 30-30.

I love shooting in wind, I figure I might need to some day, and if I do I will be prepared. I have shot in wind so strong, (+50mph,)that I couldn't record it. Anytime it is windy out, I'll take at least one shot... Of course I take at least one shot a day anyway.

Thanks!
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Shooting ridiculously small lead objects at ridiculously long ranges always tickles my giggle too. Shooting in inclement weather is good practice for real life when you have to shoot in less than ideal conditions. I kind of feel sorry for fair weather shooters who won't shoot unless its short sleeve weather. Keep it up. A 14" group in bad weather at long range trumps a tight group at a local watering hole when the guy talking about his tiny group hasn't had his finger on a trigger in years.
  5. wpage

wpage Active Member

Sounds like a good man to know in a storm...
    Great shooting rifleman!