30-30 reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by kar298, Mar 22, 2004.

1. kar298

kar298 New Member

first off i want to say hi this is my first post in this forum.
    I am just getting into reloading and i was wondering what type of powder, brand of primer, and weight and size of bullet does every one use to reload there 30-30 rifles with. I will be using these to hunt white tail deer.
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you at TFF, kar298.

I hope you will join in the fun and festivities often. You will find that we have a very congenial bunch of folks here at TFF and that the collective knowledge about guns, shooting and all other related subjects is second to none elsewhere.

I am just starting reloading myself and can't help you on the .30-30 but I'm sure one of our experts will be along soon. My experience so far has been limited to the .30-06 and .270 Win.

Attached Files:

3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Kar298! I'm in the same boat as marlin. I cant help ya out with the loading stuff yet. Somebody will be along soon with some great advice for ya.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Welcome kar298. Glad to have you aboard. Here is some reloading data for your 30-30.

30-30 Reloads

Lots to choose from. You need to figure out what bullet you want to use and then again what components. It is usually an individual choice here.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions. I would buy a good reloading book made by the manufacturer of the bullet you select. They are the best source of information on their products.
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Handy tables IPT.

Thanks!
  6. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Also check out LoadYourOwn for lots of good information on handloading.

I use Winchester 748, Winchester Large Rifle primers and Hornady 150gr. RNSP in Winchester cases for my deer loads. I'd recommend you look into the "Ladder Method" of building up an accurate load. I'm probably not the best person to explain it to you, so I'll suggest you search on "ladder" on LoadYourOwn's forums and follow the link listed.

Found it!

Ladder Method
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  7. kar298

kar298 New Member

Yeah i have looked at that site and i have those same sheets in the one book that i got with my lee kit, i was wondering though what powder every one found to be the best for the 30-30 loads, i plan on using at least a 150 grain round nose bullet. and i was thinking of using remington larger rifle primers?
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

kar298, each rifle likes its own distinctive load variation. It is all in experimenting with different ingredients to find out what your rifle likes. JohnK3's rifle might like winchester 748 and shoot one inch groups with it, where yours might group 4 inches with his load. No two rifles are the same. We reload to find the best load for OUR weapon. What might be a fine load in my rifle, might be overpressure in yours and cause major problems. You have to find out what is best in your rifle. That is why you see loads listed under each bullet weight with different powders. Hope this helps explain it!
  9. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Absolutely, IPT.

The Ladder Method (I followed the link and found out the only reference left is to a PDF in German!) basically states that you should load about 5 cartridges per charge weight, starting down near the bottom of the range listed in your manuals and work your way up to the maximum in small increments, usually 0.2 grains per set. Mark these in some way to make sure you can identify each set of cartridges.

Now, go out to the range and setup a target at 100 yards. Carefully shoot each set of charge weights and mark the groups they make on the target between sets. Keep the point of aim the same for all sets. DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SIGHTS. You'll notice they begin to "walk" up the target, like a ladder. When you hit the "sweet spot" load, you'll notice that the groups from each set begin to cluster closer together before they begin to continue their climb up your target.

Don't forget to watch for signs of overpressure with EACH load!

The average charge weight for the "cluster" is the "ideal" charge weight for that case/primer/powder/bullet/rifle combo. When you change lots of powder, even if it is the same brand, you should laddertest again. If you change anything, bullet weight/brand/style, case, primer, powder type, etc. you have to laddertest again.

The basic theory is that each barrel has a resonance point at which it is most accurate. You are adjusting your charge weight to put the combination as close as possible to the resonant point for your barrel.

DISCLAIMER: I'm just starting out reloading, myself. I do NOT claim that this is a perfect method, or even scientifically accurate. I find it to be an interesting theory that makes a certain amount of sense to me and I am presently investigating it with my own loads to see if it is valid. I've read several people on various forums that tend to agree with this method, as it is close to what they use in developing their own loads. I am especially attracted to it by the fact that it is a consistent, methodical, change-one-thing-at-a-time method of testing. I will cheerfully accept any constructive criticism and equally cheerfully ignore any "you're an idiot!" type flames.
  10. kar298

kar298 New Member

Ok the ladder method makes sense to me now. The only thing i am unsure of is which type of powder i want to use to load my shells, there are so many different types. How do i choose the best/right powder for my 30-30?
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

As I stated above. Figure out what bullet you want to use. Then buy the bullet manufacturers reloading manual, they all have them as do the powder makers. Look at the load that you find appealing to what you want to do. Find out which primer and brass maker they used to develop the loads they list. These are tried experiments and the loads listed are tested by the bullet manufacturer! See what powders he uses and try them! They give min and max loads. Start with the min and work your way up in 1/2 grain increments until you find a load that is not overpressure and shoots well in your rifle! Read what JohnK3 said above. It is very good info and I second what he states. Good luck.
  12. kar298

kar298 New Member

ok thank you
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

If you want to pick a bullet by specific manufacturer, I can give you a little more insight into what they have done as I have most of the books at hand.

IPT
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  14. Steelerfan55

Steelerfan55 New Member

Has anyone had any luck with cast bullets for the .30-30. If so, please help! I can't buy a group at 50 yds with 150 gr Flat Point Round Nosed.
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi Steelerfan, the first question I would ask is what rifle are you reloading for and have you ever slugged the barrel? If not, then it would be in your best interest to do so. I would also look into using the 170 grain load for the 30-30. Please let us know and we can help from there!
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2004