30-30 zero?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

deermaninbama
    (11/3/02 3:40:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 30-30 zero?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi yall I am new here, looks like a nice forum. Anyways here is my question. I want my 30-30 to be dead-on at 100 yards. I don't have anywhere were I can zero it in at 100 yards. I looked at the ballistics on my ammo, and at a 100 yards zero here are is the chart. At 50 yards it is .3high, at 100 its zero, at 150 its -2.7, and at 200 its -8.3. Ok if I sight mine in at 25 yards how high should I be to be zeroed at 100

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/3/02 6:10:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 30-30 zero?

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/8/02 1:40:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: what?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm out.
    I forget why I even set down at this table.
    ---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

Hello, Deermaninbama -

First, a Big Welcome to the board! We're always happy to see new faces and hope you stick around and become an old face!

2nd, sight your thutty-thutty in at dead zero at 25 yds - that'll put you on or slightly high at 100 yds, not enough to make any big difference.

Good Hunting!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

JackRyann
    (11/4/02 1:00:29 am)
    posted edited because the nature of it was a personal attack
    Grill it and kill it! Or some thing like that.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 11/4/02 8:44:09 am

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/4/02 7:23:42 am)
    Welcome Deermaninbama, and feel free to ask any questions you like. We are here to help.

JackRyann. a little harsh with your comment. The gentleman asked for advice not ridicule.

Carry on folks

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/4/02 8:40:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 30-30 zero?
    deermaninbama
    Welcome to TFF doing as Kdub said above will get you so close that it will not matter. One inch up or down is close enough. I know guys that when they sight in their rifles if they get with 6 inches of the bullseye they call it good. Course this is for fairly close range deer and not long range super accurate shooting.

Pay no mind to those that ridicule and respond rudely. 99% of the established members here are not like that.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/4/02 4:17:49 pm)
    Hey Warpig... hows about a longneck?

deermaninbama
    (11/4/02 6:40:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del thanks
    Well thanks for the welcome yall. I don't know why anyone would make a personal attack for a simple question. I would like to see what was post tho, as I missed it before it was edited.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/4/02 10:32:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: thanks
    Didn't miss anything, 'bama.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

JackRyann
    (11/5/02 12:24:15 am)
    After you've had bullets fly over yer head and found a few trophies with holes from the neck to the tail tell me about it.

Want advice here it is.

Never shoot at an animal any farther than you've shot on the range. Anything else is irresponsible, disrespectful of the animal and just plain dangerous.

If someone doesn't have the commitment to keep their skills up and make the effort on the range they don't belong in the field.

BTW It wasn't and isn't a personal attack. It's a plain fact. Stated the way it should be. Plain and blunt. To zero and practice with any weapon and then go out and shoot it for the first time at an animal a hundred yards away is the act of a greenhorn and should be discouraged in the strongest language not pooh poohed and "helped".

Too many irresponsible practices continue to the point of acceptance because people who KNOW better sugar coat it in an effort to spare someone's feelings and as a result allow the inexpirienced to establish bad habits that are only going to cause them and the people hunting around them problems in the long run.

Edited by: JackRyann at: 11/6/02 12:42:43 am

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/5/02 1:11:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 30-30 zero?
    Jack,

Thanks for clarifying things a bit better, what we mean is
    there's no need to jump on things that hard, you have
    very valid points however, your first reply was a bit over
    site guidline policy and an edit was necessary. Answers
    to honest questions are always better answered/explained
    with respect on both ends.

Thanks, I hope that this clears things up a bit on all ends,
    this can be a very good & educational thread for many
    out there! I enjoy reading your posts when I have time,
    I try to read as many of the members posts as often as
    possible.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Bama,

Welcome Aboard! We hope to see more of your postings as
    well!

Regards To All, Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

JackRyann
    (11/5/02 2:51:41 am)
    No hard feeling here. If ya haven't guessed my own hide is pretty thick. It might not have hurt had I been a little more tactful, but would it have even been a significant note at this point other wise?

It's just kind of a pet peeve of mine as I hunt a lot of public ground and my own house, wife and kids live and hunt well with in shotgun range of public hunting ground.

I feel it was not being addressed adequately and my comments are for the "old timers" as much or more than the new guys. YOU HAVE a responsibility to NOT go easy on someone who is going to be carrying the means to kill something a half a mile away.

The 25 yard zero is fine FOR A START. In fact I can't think of any calibur that it wouldn't get you on a pie plate at a hundred IN THEORY. On a pie plate at the range just is not acceptable at the same range in the field. Let alone just the assumption that because the side of the box says.......

SkiingFool1974
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 9:42:06 am)
    Welcome to TFF deermaninbama.

For what it's worth, at 25yds my 30-30 put several rounds through the same hole. At 100yds, I was about 2" high.

If you are looking for accuracy at 100yds, do whatever you can to find a place where you can practice at 100yds. After all, at the range you are comfortable, warm, and relaxed, yet when the buck finally finds its way into your crosshairs, you will be cold, and tired. Personally speaking, I want to know exactly where that round hit once I pull the trigger. I want that deer to drop, not suffer. Because of that, I am only using 12ga slugs this season. For some reason my 30-30 is not placing holes consistently where I want them to be, so I am not going to go hunting with it this year. I'd much rather limit my range, than unnecessarily wound an animal.

Evan

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/5/02 12:19:12 pm)
    Maybe it`s just me, but I don`t see the problem here. I have always used the twenty five yard as a measuring stick for preformance. If you can place five shots into a one inch square at twenty five yards (depending on the rifle) what`s the problem at one hundred yards? This is not long range and if using the same weight bullet and maker, you`ll be just fine.
    Your not shooting three hundred yards at gofers, durn.

LTS

deermaninbama
    (11/5/02 12:47:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 30-30 zero
    Well I don't know what you said to begin with, but I think you misunderstood my original post. I have never shot at anything over 100 yards with my 30-30. I never intend too either. I wa simply wondering if there was much of a change from 25 to 100 yards with a 30-30. I know they are not as flatshooting as other guns. I have never lost a deer or anything else that I have shot. Most of my kills are instant. I have had some run a few yards but not far. I consider myself ethical in every aspect of hunting. I will not shoot at anything that is running or behind any brush.

JackRyann
    (11/6/02 12:41:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 30-30 zero
    There's not much of a change from 100 to 25 and if you've shot that 30 30 as much as you imply you'd know that. There can be huge differences from 25 to 100.

First off if you have a 30 30 that is holding a 2 inch group at hundred with factory ammo you've got a better one than I've ever seen more likely 3 inches or more. If things are out even a quarter of an inch at 25 you are now talking a theoretical best of an inch out with a 2 or 3 inch group on top of that. Since the thread is about sighting in for a hundred on a twenty five yard target who knows what way it's going or if you've even got a group that good at a hundred.

That's off a rest. What happens when you add in the human factor? How are you determining that? Just by the luck of the draw and what happened over the course of each hunting season. Pure speculation and a little poppy cock added in for spice.

How would you like to be stalking the deer I'm shooting at based on the kind of range practices some have been trying to justify here? I sure don't want to be in the woods around some of the theoretical marksmen I've read here or the ones I've seen in action at several public ranges.

---If you wouldn't take that shot with the LAST bullet in your gun, you don't have any business taking it with the FIRST.---

deermaninbama
    (11/6/02 8:12:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del what?

I don't see anywhere in my post where I implied that I shoot at lot over 100 yards, I think it would be best if you got over your little power trip or what ever your on. I wanted to know how high I shoot sight in at 25 yards to hit at a hundred. I was intending on shooting at a 100 yards too, before I went hunting with. I don't have a bench or a good place to sight in at 100 but I have plenty of places to shoot 100 after I sighted in at 25, to check my gun out. I don't know what you problem is but you need to get over it.

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/7/02 3:09:16 am)
    Check it out at a hundred and it's a perfectly acceptable pratice, to me. Not that it matters if it is to me or not.

The subject came up and this is the first you've mentioned checking it out at the max yardage you intend to shoot, prior to leaving to hunt.

No power trip here. I have no power over ya or anyone else. Unless they are the ones letting bullets fly over my head or into the garage roof. Then I'm going to use what ever power I have to put a stop to it and I know where my bullets are going to land not just where the side of the box says they will.

You ask a question that someone who knows their weapon should know. So I answered it in the manner I would someone who is just begining and establishing the habits they will practice for their hunting career.

If it insulted you or hurt your feeling you have my apologies. I hope it helps. It's of no benefit to me to answer or not, help or hurt, there is no reason at all for me to offer any opinion at all except in the interest it may benefit someone specificly or generally.

If you don't think it will I suggest you ignore it or better yet demonstrate where it is wrong for the good of the many.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/7/02 12:04:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: what?
    I think I am going to sight all my scoped rifles and handguns in at 25 yards from now on. Just because I can. I will consult a ballistics chart to see where they shoot at long range and fire away.

I'm with ya deermaninbama

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/7/02 12:16:00 pm)
    A deer with a 2-3 inch kill zone????
    Must be one-tiny-deer...........

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/7/02 12:28:26 pm)
    The venerable 30-30 is one of the most widely used deer guns here in Missouri - mainly because of the heavy brush and rolling hills over the south half of the state don't allow for anything more than a 100 yard shot at the most.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/7/02 1:22:14 pm)
    It's a satistical fact most deer in the US are shot under 100 yd range - East, West, North or South.

Knowing the limitations of the rifle and your own shooting ability is the key to successful bullet placement. In my younger years I had no fear of taking that 400 yd shot with my 7mm Rem Mag, because I practiced with it out to 450 yds and knew the ballistics. Today, being older and not quite so steady and with less sharp eyesight, I limit the same rifle to 350 yds or less. Some will say - what's the big deal with the -50 yds? At extreme range, 50 yds is a lot of territory for bullet drop. Today, I regularlily practice at 300 yds with the high power, "small bore" rifles, 100-200 yds max with the "big bore" moderate velocity rifles. I know where each rifle groups and the size of the group. In my estimation, a considered 6" circle will represent the killing area of small deer to elk and moose. I limit my shots to the range I know the rifle and I will place the bullet in that area.

Another thing people tend to forget in the flush of having an animal in the crosshairs or sights is the impact energy of the bullet arriving at the given range. Again, in my opinion, if the slug won't deliver a minimum of 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at the point of impact - leave it alone!! Sure, less impact will kill with precisely placed bullets of proper construction, but the odds are, it will suffer a mortal wound that takes time for the animal to die. Nothing, and I mean nothing, should be made to suffer a lingering death just because you're afraid if the shot isn't taken the animal will escape. Let it go and try again another day.

OK - the soap box is vacated for the next orator!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"