30/40 Krag

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gdmoody, Jan 28, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

George I figure that front blade is gonna have to be somewhere close to 1/2" base to tip of blade to compensate for the horrendous rear sight adjustment to get it up to hit 50 yds.
  2. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I suggested on another firearms site that to "duplicate the original loadings" in my Eddystone would give me POIs consistent to my sight settings.
    I was ridiculed for days because I didn't subscribe to their fix, "sanding down the front sight" of my antique firearm.

I'm glad this site has common sense solutions.
  3. victory05

victory05 New Member

This discussion is very interesting to me since I have a 30-40 of the same vintage. Mine has a 24" barrel and original sights. I have shot it a fair amount and have taken a few deer with it. It is a dream to shoot and the action is smooth as silk. I have not had any difficulty with the sights although it did take a bit of time to get used to them at distances over 150 yards or so. My rifle is only about 500 lower on the serial number than the one shown here. I have been trying to get an accurate value of the gun for insurance reasons. I can honestly say (I know some of you will say, "yeah, right!") that this gun's condition is of a solid 90%. It has a couple nearly imperceptable scuffs on the stock that are hard to find even though I know they are there. I have had 2 appraisals and they are over $2700 apart. It seems difficult to find knowledgeable experts around here. Who to trust seems to be an issue as well.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I think this is going to take a lot of "playing with" to get it to shoot. I don't have a great amount of time on my hands so it is going to take me a while to get it shooting right. I will probably lose interest and sell it by that time!!
  5. BobMcG

BobMcG Active Member Supporting Member

Well then, maybe it's a rare keeper. Just can't find where a 24" barrel was original issue.... There was also a "Board of Ordnance and Fortifications Barrel, Type 4" made in 26" in length, but that was manufactured much later in years (and serial numbers).

Yeah I know what you mean. Really sucks.
    Oh, speaking of that, who claimed to be a expert? If a person has a couple of reference books written by experts on the subject, I think it behooves them to look up the information for someone who perhaps doesn't have the books. Yup, some books can be wrong or incomplete, but hey, that's just the way some of us are around here.

Come to think of it, doesn't have to be that way though I suppose.
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Active Member Supporting Member

Why anyone would suggest "sanding down" the front sight beats me. You pop it out and slide in another one. I've purchased rifles with such handy work performed on them and have always sought out and acquired the proper sight to replace the "bubbaed" one. I try to keep a few different height sights around for some of my oldies. They're out there and not always that expensive.
  7. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

Bob - I was reading thru some older posts and came across this one. When I first read it, I took it the same as you, but after re-reading it, I don't think Victory05 was tring to be insulting to those who are trying to help here. "It seems difficult to find knowledgeable experts around here. Who to trust seems to be an issue as well" - I'm thinking he is referring to HIS local area in getting assistance on firearms information and advice.

I don't think he was trying to be rude or insulting. Before I made TFF my only on-line firearms source, I interacted with other similar sites and found them to be chock-full of rude and arrogant snobs. That's why I like TFF - for some reason the snobs stay away and you just get real folks who will share their information and help. The rude ones get dressed down and leave quickley. Redwing, JLA, Jim H, Jim K, Alpo, GDMoody - the list goes on and on - just GREAT people helping out.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012